Chapter 29: Desperation

I had never been more excited for a Monday morning to come. All weekend I had rehearsed what I wanted to say to Noah and how I would say it. There was absolutely nothing that could go wrong. Well, at least I thought so.

Joe had picked us up with his car and drove us to the first school... Montgomery High. During the whole drive the three of us kept quiet.

After what felt like an eternity, we finally came to a stop. I was about to jump out of the car when Joe turned around to face me. "First of all, no matter what happens, no one can find out that we're not students of this school. Understood?" I nodded. "Second of all, even if we find Noah, we can't force him to come back. It's still his choice, okay?"

I was just about to object when Aileen coughed loudly. "He won't let you go until you agree."

She was right. The look on Joe's face told me everything I needed to know. "Alright," I muttered before stepping out of the car.

Aileen and Joe followed closely behind me as I entered the school building. My heart was beating out of my chest.

We strolled down the hallway examining all of the students around. Some of them gave us weird glances in response but I didn't bother. All I cared about was finding Noah.

Finally, I saw a tall, dark haired boy standing with his back to us. I almost ran towards him and placed my hand on his shoulder. It was him, it had to be him.

He turned his head and smiled at me but it wasn't Noah. "Hey, I've never seen you around."

"Don't worry, you won't see me again." I simply stated before walking off. Why did I let my hopes get up like that? It caused nothing but disappointment.

"So you won't even tell me your name?" He shouted after me.

"Maybe next time," I shouted back at him knowing that there wouldn't be a next time.

After a while I noticed that I had lost Aileen and Joe, so I waited for them next to a group of girls.

"Oh my god, are you serious? You slept with him?" One of them asked her friend.

"I know what you think. He's slept with tons of girls. But with me it was different. I really think I can change him. You guys just have to see how sweetly he always treats me."

"Idiot," I thought to myself. Nobody can change a bad boy if he doesn't want to change.

"Just don't get your heart broken. We're still talking about Noah. He won't change that easily."

In a split second, my whole body tensed. Could it be possible that they were talking about the same Noah? Without thinking I blurted out, "Are you taking about Noah Shaw?"

The first one raised her eyebrows at me. "And you are?"

"A friend of Noah's..." I countered.

"A friend of Noah Shaw..." she laughed "too bad we're talking about Noah Ferris. So crawl back into your little hole and leave us alone."

Despite the insult I sighed and thanked her. At least, Noah didn't turn into some crazy bad boys who's slept with 'tons of girls'.

-

The next school was even bigger than the one we had been to before. "If we want to find Noah in here, we should probably split up." I stated causing Aileen and Joe to share an uncertain look. "I'm not gonna do anything stupid."

"Maybe she's right." Aileen said softly.

Joe rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "Okay... but if we don't find him, we will meet back here in 20 minutes." Quickly, I nodded my agreement and started searching.

The hallway was extremely crowded which made it almost impossible to spot Noah. I pushed myself past the jocks, the cheerleaders, some seemingly normal students and a few weird looking nerds. But there was no sign of him.

I tried to get past another group of boys when one of them stepped in my way. "Excuse me!" I said loudly.

He smirked. "Where do you think you're going?"

"... to class." I returned as confidently as possible.

"Which one?" The arrogance was beaming from his eyes.

I shook my head. "None of your business..."

Within a second, his expression darkened. "What did you just say to me?"

"I said that..." Suddenly someone grabbed my hand and dragged me away. I tried to wrest myself free but failed.

After a while I found myself in a dark room. "Alright, Joe... I'm sorry that I told you I wouldn't get in trouble and still did. But he started it. I just wanted to get past him. So it's not entirely my fau..."

Before I could even finish, I felt a strong push that forced me to step back against the wall. My breath was caught up in my throat. It wasn't Joe. "What the hell are you doing here? I told you not to come looking for me."

His deep, husky voice left me in silence. I just stared at the silhouette of his head, at everything I could recognize in the darkness.

Noah shifted his body weight against me. "Why aren't you answering?" He breathed out.

I couldn't think straight. All of my thoughts were spinning around his sudden closeness and the dream I had right before he left. My heart was beating so fast, he had to be able to feel it.

"Just promise me you will stay away." He whispered desperately.

I felt the sudden urge to kiss him and tell him that I loved him but I knew that it would only make things worse. So I just stammered, "I can't."

Out of nowhere his hand hit the wall right beside my head. My body flinched at the sudden impact. "Promise me!" He shouted out.

It took ever bit of self control I had left to stay calm and to hold his intense stare. Being so close to him and yet so far was pure torture. "What are you fighting against, Noah?" Even in the dark I felt like his eyes were piercing right through me, like they could see every emotion that was shooting through my body... uncertainty, excitement, anger, lust and maybe a little bit of fear.

"I'm fighting against you and your stubbornness." Noah returned through gritted teeth.

"No, you're not. You're fighting against yourself and I want to know why." I was surprised at how calm my voice actually sounded.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Of course, you do." I tried to free myself but Noah only pushed his body stronger against mine. "Please, just tell me."

We stood in silence for a while. I felt Noah's chest raising and lowering against mine. Our faces were only inches away from each other which made it almost impossible to concentrate on anything else. I waited patiently until I caught Noah looking at my lips. It was nothing more than a short glimpse but it meant everything. My thoughts were running wild inside my head.

"If I told you it would change everything. You could never look at me the same way." He breathed against my skin.

"No, it wouldn't." Gathering all of my courage, I leaned in closer and placed my lips on his.

If you like this story so far please vote, comment, add it to a reading list or share it with your friends. It would mean a lot to me ♥️