Chapter Eight

Rin left her father already dozing in the chair and joined Parmer in the garden. He beamed at her and offered his arm. She hesitated and he took her hand and laced it through the crook of his arm with a chuckle.

"It feels good there." He explained, as he opened the wooden gate. "It feels right." He led the way to the enclosure, Rin walking at his side. Blue stood up from where he had been laying as the couple approached and rumbled a greeting as he ambled closer. Rin opened the gate and entered to give Blue a hug as normal, much to Parmer's alarm. Blue accepted the hug without objection, nuzzling Rin affectionately. Parmer walked hesitantly over and offered the food in two bowls. Blue gently nudged him closer to Seafoam with his head, carefully steering him over to where Seafoam lay. A dragonruck, working in the next enclosure, called out in alarm at the sight of Blue herding Parmer toward Seafoam, until Rin calmed him without shouting.

"Parmer is quite safe, as long as I am here." Rin stated. "Blue is unlikely to hurt anyone with me."

"It's Seafoam who alarms me, miss." The ruck replied. "She has not proved to be obedient yet."

"She has submitted to Blue. I have confidence in his dominance."

"Fair enough, miss." The ruck replied, although he kept an uneasy watch as he shovelled in the adjacent enclosure.

Parmer was close enough to place a bowl by Seafoam's head and placed the other beside it for Blue. Both dragons rumbled their thanks before dipping their tongues into the bowls, savouring the contents. Rin joined Parmer to watch the dragons eat.

"Seafoam looks contented." Parmer remarked.

"She looks extremely pleased with herself." Rin chuckled, kneeling down to stroke the female. Blue didn't object, so Parmer knelt beside Rin to stroke his dragon. Seafoam sighed gently and continued to eat, leaning into the soft caresses from both hands. Blue nudged his bowl closer to Seafoam, encouraging her to eat from his bowl as he ate from hers.

"He shares his food. That's a very good sign of a successful claiming." Parmer stated.

"He's been sharing his food with her for some time." Rin reminded him.

"True. I'd forgotten that. We'll know in a few days anyway. If they begin to build a nest, then it will prove they are a match."

"Can she nest here?" Rin asked.

"No. If they begin to build, we will move them into the breeding quarters. There they will begin again and we will provide the materials for a stronger nest than they could build in the wild. They will use it more than once, for the area will become their permanent breeding territory. Blue will be able to fly free once she lays the eggs and sits. She will not need to hunt for food, as we will provide ample to raise at least four. We can remove any excess hatchlings if required."

"I'll raise those, as we agreed." Rin stated firmly.

Parmer nodded. "I will keep my promise."

"So shall I." Rin stated.

"I hope that won't be necessary." Parmer muttered. Rin heard the words, but refrained from mentioning it. She couldn't dismiss the possibility that her father might decide to return to the cave in the future, although it appeared he was perfectly content with the new arrangements. One thing life had taught her was that nothing in the future was a certainty. With the bowls almost emptied, Rin checked the pair had sufficient water available, leaving Parmer to clear up the two bowls. Rin had almost reached the gate when Blue roared a warning and then belched a stream of fire at the adjoining fence. A ruck leapt away quickly, slapping at his smouldering trousers in a panic.