Chapter Twelve

Clara was going through her own torment. Her son was still bare-chested, having draped his shirt over Rin to keep her warm. Her husband was annoyed with her, and had given her a great deal to consider about her friends and their lives. Everything she had tried to do to keep her children unsullied had been destroyed in a few short minutes with her husband's words. Was it as he had said? Were the lives of her friends so terrible behind closed doors? Could she save her own family from a similar fate? Shella sat quietly beside her, seeming to have grown older during the day. She had been talking to the groundsman, Eno, while they had waited for news and had arrived with him. Eno now waited for news on his daughter. Clara wondered briefly where his wife was.

Parmer paced the floor, anxiously waiting for news. Eno sat quietly, although clearly fretful. Tobias attempted to keep the mood light.

"So, you took your first flight on a dragon, Parmer. I'm very proud of you."

"I did what was necessary, Father." Parmer sighed. "And it was mostly Blue's idea."

"Seafoam was a good investment. She's taught you new skills and brought you many new opportunities."

"I'm hoping she'll provide more." Parmer said. "But I need Rin with me. Seafoam has a clutch, a large one. I'll need Rin's help to rear them all."

"You've kept her awake. You've given her a good chance of recovery." Tobias said, laying a hand on Parmer's arm. "The lead ruck was very impressed with you."

"She kept saying she was dreaming."

"She probably felt like it, but at least she was talking, and looking at you."

"I'm sure Blue helped more than me."

"I'm certain Blue helped in his own way, in return for her care, but you kept her safe from falling while on his back, and kept her awake. I owe you much more than I could ever repay." Eno said from his seat, regarding Parmer kindly. "My daughter means so much to me."

"I know that, sir." Parmer replied. "She regards you in the same manner. She was asking after you as she was placed on Blue's back. She said she was sorry."

"What for?"

"She didn't say."

The medic opening the door interrupted the conversation. He closed it softly behind him.

"Well?" Tobias demanded.

"She is sleeping naturally now. Someone needs to be with her constantly for the next day or so. She will need disturbing frequently to make sure she doesn't fall into unconsciousness. She might be sick. She will need to drink often and will need support to use the latrine. I've left some potions that will help with headaches and her bruises, which will be severe. She's very lucky not to have broken bones. I'll return in a day to see her again."

"I'll stay with her." Eno said. "The gardens will have to wait, Tobias."

"The gardens have waited years for your attentions, Eno. A few extra days will do no harm. And I will take my turn with her also, for you will need some sleep. I have no doubt Parmer will join us, eh?"

Parmer nodded silently, words completely failing him. He was concerned and relieved at the same time and wanted only to see her. "Can I go in?" He croaked at last.

"Of course, sir." The medic smiled, opening the door for him. Parmer crept in. The window was covered, letting in little light. Parmer stepped closer. Rin lay on the bed, blankets up to her chin. She looked peaceful, even though bruising had begun to darken her face. There was a strong smell of lemons in the air, and herbs used to prevent deep sleep. Parmer pulled a chair closer to the bed and sat down, watching the blanket rise and fall as she breathed. Tobias squeezed his shoulder from behind before picking up Parmer's discarded shirt and draping it around his son's shoulders.