Chapter Twentyseven

All were still chatting happily, wine and spirits flowing, as they entered. Parmer found two glasses and poured the spirit into both, filling them almost to the brim, offering Rin one. "Sip it. It's not like wine." He advised. Rin nodded, taking a hesitant sip. Sweetness filled her mouth, followed by an unexplained heat which increased as she swallowed, robbing her breath for a moment. She took a deep breath as it travelled down her throat. She felt the heat descend between her breasts before easing.

"Wow!" She gasped. "It's certainly stronger than wine."

"Nice though?"

"Sweet, fiery, breath-taking."

"Take some more. You get accustomed to it. I'm circulating."

Rin nodded, sipping the spirit again. After a few more sips, it didn't seem so fiery, and she breathed easier. She stood on the fringes of the party, watching as Parmer spoke to their guests, listening and nodding on occasion. Clive took his arm after a while, steering him to one side, where they conversed intently. Rin began to feel warm – from the spirit, she supposed, and moved nearer to an open window, welcoming the coolness. She nursed the remainder of the spirit – her glass almost empty. Finding a seat, she sat down, feeling weak. She wondered how much long Parmer would be. She drained her glass, setting it down under the chair. She looked for Parmer, still in conversation with Clive. There was a noise in her ears, a ringing, and she felt so sleepy. Perhaps she should go to bed. Standing was difficult as she tried to find her balance, swaying as she walked to the doorway. She managed half the stairs, but had to sit halfway. Standing again proved very difficult, and she half ran up the remainder and lurched into the bedroom. She managed to kick off her shoes before falling onto the bed.

Parmer chuckled when he finally found his wife, passed out on the bed, fully clothed. He gently undressed her and tucked her under the covers while he undressed and toileted. She did not stir when he climbed into bed, and pulled her body into his. He kissed her cheek, tucked her head onto his chest and blew out the candle with a smile. Clive had given him a few ideas, and some more information, and a few names of his staff who might be willing to share what they knew – for a few coins, of course. He felt guilty about abandoning Rin, but once Clive had pulled him to one side, he had become intrigued. Only when Clive had gone to refill his glass, did Parmer realise Rin had gone.

Rin woke him with a groan. "My head hurts." She moaned.

"That's the spirit."

"You're no comfort."

"No, that's the spirit." He chuckled. "It's the effects of the spirit. I hope you only had the one glass?"

"Yes." Rin moaned. "I felt so tired, so I came to bed. Don't remember getting up the stairs though."

"You were asleep when I came in." Parmer chuckled. "Fully clothed, on the bed."

"Oh no...Nobody noticed, I hope?"

"I don't think so." He soothed. "And I have a remedy." He threw back the covers. "I'll be back." He returned with a glass and a sliver of bark. "Chew, then drink."

"What is it?" Rin peered suspiciously at the bark.

"It will take away the pain. Now, chew." He pushed the bark between her lips and handed her the glass. She chewed, pulled a face and drank the fluid.

"Aargh! That tastes horrid."

"It will help. By the time you're dressed, you will feel fine."

"Well, I can't feel much worse." She groaned, easing herself from the bed and heading to the washroom. Parmer chuckled as he dressed ready for the Chambers. He was buttoning his shirt as Rin joined him.