Chapter Thirtythree

"You are not all you appear to be, Eno." Tobias said later. Parmer had recovered enough to sit at the kitchen table for a meal. Clara had insisted on family only at the table, their guests eating in the dining room. "I think we should hear your story."

Eno shifted uneasily. "There are many things that are unknown to my daughter, not just those here. It will depend on whether she wishes to hear of her circumstances." He looked at Rin and Parmer. "Should her husband know, or should he remain oblivious?"

"Is it likely to affect me unfavourably in any way?" Parmer asked.

"That would depend upon your view of the world."

"I am open to learning." Parmer replied. "If you think any adverse information would lead me to reject Rin, you are very much mistaken. She is my life, my world, my soul-mate. I don't care who she is. I don't regret wedding her. I made my promises at Sanctum and meant every word. I'm proud that she wears my band."

"That is all that matters to me." Eno smiled. "My name is Eno Flint. I was born, one of seven, in Manley, in Lord Steven's house. My father was his Steward, my mother was his Cook. Not all seven of us grew up; I lost two of my brothers and one sister before they reached their tens. I worked in the house, starting as boot boy and moving up. I wanted better, always better. I could never be Steward for Lord Steven – my father held that position. There was nothing higher. I decided to join the guards. I worked my way through the ranks, reaching Commander. I wanted more. I petitioned to learn at a house of knowledge. As a former Commander, I had rank enough. I studied law. I was briefly in Chambers. It was not what I wanted. I joined the guards again and moved from Manley. I lived well. I had respect. I wanted more.

"I took a position as aide to Grandmaster Refin. I was a mask, confidant and minder. I had all manner of roles, from helping with the dragons, to arranging events and hosting grand parties. I mixed with rucks to highborns with ease. I knew when to bow, and to be bowed to. It was how I met Rin's mother, Dragonlady Paniz, a beautiful, gentle Southern woman, soft spoken and intelligent. I quickly discovered she was my equal, my soul-mate. We wed, much to Refin's disgust. I discovered that Southern women are held in great suspicion, and a mixed union was shocking. Acceptable as a Dragonlady, but not to wed a man considered almost highborn, and pale skinned too.

"My choices were simple and easy – stay or leave. We left. We took nothing except coin. We had what we needed – each other. We moved south, but we were not accepted among her own people either. They were equally suspicious, this time of me. We moved. We moved several times for similar reasons, finally settling in a small city south east of here. I bought a Cottage on the outskirts. The city was large enough to have a garrison. I joined the guards again. Paniz missed her dragons, but wanted me more. In time, she became loaded, and Rin was born. My beautiful, brown-skinned daughter, with flame coloured hair, just like her mother - Rin...it means 'love' in the Southern language, and sounds strong in the North.

"We had to move when Rin was half a year. A new Lord had swept into city, Lord Craven, and pronounced that all Southern women were evil and were unwelcome. I'd saved all my coin, selling the Cottage increased it. We ran and settled in a small cabin in the woods a few miles east. As a guard, I'd learned many skills of survival. I could fish, trap animals, make things from trees and plants, make meals, make fabric for clothes, we did not want for anything. Paniz became loaded again, this time a boy, Tad, was born, again brown-skinned, with flame red curls - Tad is Southern for 'joy'. We were so happy, contented, a full family and beholden to nobody. Paniz taught the children Southern customs, I taught them my ethics.

"One day, I took Rin fishing with me, leaving Tad with Paniz in the cabin. I was greedy. "Just one more" I said...In my absence, a white man discovered Paniz and Tad. We arrived back just after the man had raped my lovely Paniz. I discovered that he'd already killed my boy. Rin witnessed the man murder her mother. I took Rin away; made her safe inside a cave, buried my wife and boy, then tracked down the rapist killer and slit his throat. He was not a lackey. I knew who he was – Lord Craven.