Chapter Twentysix

Parmer collected more discarded skins as Rin wandered around the enclosure deep in thought, two baby dragons following close behind her. Two followed their mother, and two accompanied Blue, picking up food as they spotted it. Parmer had three around his feet, chuckling at one tugging at a length of discarded skin, hoping it was edible. He bent to scratch its head, as he had seen Rin do often. The head pushed into his hand, nudging it for more attention. Parmer sat to continue. Another baby gently butted against his shoulder for attention. Before long, a delighted Parmer had four babies crooning at his shoulders, the bag of skins forgotten as he revelled in the idolatry. He marvelled at contentment shown by the babies as he fondled their heads at their insistence.

Eventually, Blue and Seafoam joined him with more of the babies and he divided his attention between them all. Rin chuckled at the sight as she joined him, adding her two into the mix.

"I almost couldn't see you." She grinned, giving two some loving attention.

"This feels so wonderful." Parmer laughed. "Seafoam didn't do this."

"I don't think you had her at the right time." Rin smiled. "These have known us since birth. We are family to them." She kissed his head lightly. "And yes, we will take the Cottage, if Dad doesn't need it any further."

"You will?" Parmer beamed. "That's...fantastic."

"Only if he says yes." Rin insisted. "Perhaps he still needs space."

"We will talk to him, Cook too. After we finish here."

"I must move." Parmer said, standing reluctantly. "I was just overwhelmed by this affection."

"They will be easy to train." Rin smiled. "They are ready to begin."

"Are they? They seem so small still."

"It's play. They wish to please. We reward them like this." She tickled the belly of one who had rolled over. It made a wheezing noise and squirmed around. "She's laughing. They have learned to trust us."

"You know it's a she?"

"Of course." Rin grinned, pushing another gently onto its back. "This is a boy...see?" She pointed at a small mound in the middle of the stomach. "Girls don't have that."

"So, what do we have?"

"Five boys, four girls. One blue, two green are girls plus the dark one. Two blue, two green and one grey-blue boy. And all healthy."

"We need to consider names. We'll mention it at our next family meal. It would be nice to offer the girls some input."

"What are you doing with the skins?" Rin asked, curiously.

"Selling them to the shop where I bought the skins for your band. He said that blue and green were scarce; he pays a good price."

"And the dark one?"

"I'm keeping those quiet. For now."

They laid out more food and water and left the enclosure, making their way back to the mansion. Parmer felt absurdly light and free after the time spent with their baby flight, and it seemed like no time at all until they were washed and changed ready for their evening meal. Kitty intercepted the couple as they descended the stairs.

"Lord Tobias wishes to see you in his study, Lord Parmer." She puffed, winded from hurrying to meet them. "And we have guests. Lady Clara wishes a formal meal. I have to get back. Cook's in quite a panic. I can lay out another dress, Lady Rin, if you prefer?"

"This dress is quite suitable, thank you, Kitty. You go and help Cook." Kitty curtsied quickly then ran off toward the kitchen. "I'll be fine on my own, Parmer. Go and find out what your father needs. I'll try to find mine."