Chapter Twentyone

Despite continued probing from his father, Parmer would not reveal his plans for the eternity band. Parmer was determined to have sole responsibility for finding the materials required for such an important item. He would set his soul into the fabrication of it, forming each knot with a promise, with enough knots to last a lifetime and a half. The skins would have to be thin and soft but strong enough to last a lifetime – or at the very least, several years before breaking. Added to that, he wanted to find precise colours. Only then could he begin to practise forming the intricate knots needed to make it. He'd seem clumsy knotwork on other bands and had vowed to take particular care when he needed to tie one.

"Any ideas on a gown, Lady Rin?" Unis enquired. "For when you wed?"

"I have something in mind." Rin smiled softly. "Something simple, of course."

"Simple?" Clara asked. "Not too simple, I hope. It's a special day. I shall arrange a dressmaker for you."

"I'd like to make it myself." Rin said. "I know what I want."

"Nonsense! I won't hear of it. Only the best materials and the finest workmanship will do."

"But I know what I want." Rin insisted.

"Lady Clara is correct." Unis cut in. "You wed the Principal's son. You can't be seen wearing anything but the finest."

"Exactly!" Clara smiled and patted Rin's hand. "Perhaps in the newest fashion too."

"It's our special day." Rin said firmly. "We have made plans."

Clara frowned. "What plans?"

"Where we will wed, and what we will wear." Rin smiled in remembrance of their discussion. "I instantly pictured my dress. Plain and simple - elegant, of course."

Clara began to contest, but Parmer intervened. "It will be what we want, not what is expected. You will have plenty to arrange other than worrying about the dress. I'd like you to organise the decorations in the Sanctuary, help with the arrival and departure from the ceremony and the celebrations after."

Clara looked panicked, her mouth agape. It took a few moments for her to regain her composure. "Everything?" She asked in a tiny voice.

"Rin will organise her own dress and those of any attendants she may choose." Parmer confirmed. "The rest is for you. She may advise on flowers, of course."

"He makes firm guidelines." Clive responded with a chuckle. "I'm expecting shocks in the council when he settles in. There's some I'd like to see shook up."

"It's something you've always wanted, my dearest." Tobias chuckled. "You may get input into Shella's dress, and I might get the organisation for that one instead."

"It's like a dream." Clara sighed happily. "I expected opposition. I'm overwhelmed. I'll concede the dress."

Rin inclined her head in acceptance with a smile. Parmer patted her thigh under the table in reassurance.

"How long do I have?" Clara asked as an afterthought.

"Three months." Tobias laughed. "Plenty of time to prepare."

Clara stared at her family and then giggled excitedly. "That will be good. It's not rushed."

After dessert, everyone returned to the drawing room except Parmer and Rin who made their excuses so they could attend to their dragons. Clara was already discussing the venue for the festivities, insisting that the couple should remain visible to the public at all times. Sayrah returned to her picture, the rest of the girls at her side watching her complete it.