Chapter Thirtytwo

Several hours later, the group sat in the mansion kitchen, drinking a brew and resting after the move. Eno and Soren had broken down the shelters while Rin flew the dragons home one by one, each taking something from the temporary enclosure. Blue and Seafoam made a fuss over each of their offspring as they returned. Soren, Kitty, Daisy and Eno had walked back together through the dark.

"You're welcome to stay." Lord Tobias told Soren. "Unless Lord Bo has further need of you?"

"He paid me up after I finished the hole." Soren said. "Now I don't intend to return."

"It might be useful to have you there to gather information." Tobias argued.

"I was absent today. If I returned, he might be suspicious." Soren replied.

"He might be right." Eno agreed. "Bo ain't going to tell him what his plans are. His job is done. He was only temporary."

"Very well." Tobias said. "Rin says you've been a big help."

"I like Dragonlady Rin." Soren agreed. "She's been very kind."

"Any further notes or news?" Eno asked, cutting across the conversation.

"Nothing yet." Tobias sighed. "I have the coin, hidden safe for now. It's taken all day to get together. I rather hoped you would have gleaned some knowledge."

"We have some." Eno replied. "We investigate further in the morning."

"Anything I should know?" Tobias said, running his fingers through his already dishevelled hair.

"I can't give anything positive." Eno said ruefully. "I don't like handing out false hope. We might have something, but need proof."

"I just hope he's safe." Tobias said, the lines of worry on his face deepening. "The wind's picking up. There might be a storm brewing. I hope whoever's holding him has him comfortable."

Soren tensed, thinking about the hole. It had been close to the valley. Would it flood if it rained? His unease turned to alarm. Would Bo think about the safety of his captor, if, in fact, Parmer were in the hole? What other reason could Bo have for it?

"Worried?" Eno asked him, seeing his frown.

Soren looked up, but Tobias had left; so had Kitty and Daisy. He and Eno were alone. He shared his misgivings with the older man.

"I agree. I can see no sensible reason for a hole in the middle of nowhere." Eno said. "Closer to his house, I might have considered a wine cellar, or other storage, but where you say it is, it doesn't make any sense." Eno thought for a moment. "It might flood, if it rains heavy. Water will pour down those hills into the valley in heavy storms, making a river that flows into the lake beyond. And I doubt that Bo considers anyone but himself."

"I'd hate to be there now." Soren remarked.

Soren bunked down with other male members of the household. He had been supplied with a blanket and the cot was comfortable. He was warm and fed. He wondered how Lord Parmer was faring as he drifted off to sleep.

Thunder rolled and the patter of rain was hard to ignore. Parmer shivered, pulling the blanket provided around him. It was dark. He'd been in darkness for hours, although truthfully, he did not know how long he'd been where he was. He remembered being grabbed and pulled from his bed by two men. He'd heard Rin attempt to scream, the sound muffled by a hand across her mouth and seen Rin knocked out, heard her grunt at the blow.

He, too, had had a hand over his mouth. The two men had easily restrained him, binding his hands and feet. As the hand was removed, another forced a gag into his mouth. Although he kicked and writhed, he was helpless. He saw stars as he was hit. The blow had glanced the side of his head, and although it had hurt, he feigned unconsciousness, hoping for an opportunity to get free. He was carried out and then slung over the shoulder of one. Nobody spoke until he was hoisted onto the back of a dragon. He heard a voice directing the men, not one he recognised, and felt the passing of air as the dragon launched, flew and landed. He felt the jolt as talons hit the ground. He was passed down. Other hands grabbed him, carrying him over their shoulder as before. He saw little. There were no lights. The men seemed to know where to go. Again, he was bundled from the shoulder into other hands and placed onto the ground. Voices faded as they left. A blanket fell on top of him and he heard scraping of wood above, then soft thuds. He worked on the knots of the binding. He was on solid ground. It smelled damp, earthy. He picked and picked at the binding until it parted. Once his hands were free, he removed the gag and easily freed his feet. He stood, walking until he reached a wall, then felt around for door. He circled and circled, but felt nothing except loose dirt. Even holding his hands high, he felt nothing above him. There was no light. He found the blanket, wrapping it around his naked body. He shuffled back until he met the wall. Settling back onto it was better than lying on the floor.