Chapter Thirty

"How was Dad?" Rin asked in the morning, as they readied their dragons.

"Bruised, but he assured me that young man had more than he did." Parmer chuckled.

"Most likely." Rin replied. "He's won before..."

"Your father has many unknown aspects." Parmer stated. "What did he do before you were born?"

"I've never asked, and he's not said." Rin replied. "He's never spoken of the time before he wed my mother."

"He's a bit of a mystery, then?" Parmar smiled.

"I suppose." Rin replied thoughtfully. "He's still my Dad."

"Hunter and Bud today?" Parmer enquired, the dragons fed.

"Hunter for you. I'll take Bud." Rin smiled. "Hunter is quick; Bud will chase him."

The race was held over varying terrain; open fields, wide valley, mountain crags, a large lake, the city and the arena. All of the flight visible from the arena, with the start and finish line in the arena centre being the only place where the dragons could be seen close up. Any landing, or loss of rider was an instant disqualification, collisions or any deviation from the route incurred penalties.

The field was reduced, everyday dropping the two lowest scorers from the contest. Rin and Parmer lined up with others for the order to begin. The contest began with the launch, flying around a pre-arranged course, and returning to land where they had begun. Points were scored at intervals around the course, for leaders at every stage, and for the final finish. Grandmster Mikael would start the race.

All riders were silent and tense as they waited the order. A hush had fallen onto the crowd also as the Grandmaster mounted to the starter's dais. He raised his arm. All riders waited for the arm to drop, the signal to launch their dragon. A false start would mean elimination from the contest, regardless of your points position. The arm dropped, the single word "Go!" sounding loud and clear across the arena. Forty-eight dragons launched with a great flapping of wings and draught of air, jostling for position as they cleared the arena.

Collisions were inevitable at this point in the race, and judges were rapidly ticking names onto paper as the race began. Bud hit both the dragons alongside him with a wing as he launched, Hunter was caught by a wing and a tail, but his wings caught only air. The thunder from dragons' wings reduced as they sped west toward the first checkpoint over the fields at the beginning of the valley. The more experienced dragonmasters knew where the best thermals were likely to be and headed into the updraughts. Rin and Parmer steered their dragons in a similar direction, Bud finding the lift first. He soared sharply, emitting a 'parp' of surprise at the sudden push beneath his wings. No points were lost for height, either high or low, provided they kept to the course. Rin allowed him to climb, to rest his wings as he glided on the warm air from below.

Bud was one of the leaders, Hunter near the middle of the pack, as they reached the head of the valley. The air cooled and Bud had to use his wings again as he dropped. The valley was deep, with a river in the centre. To the west, the hills were rounded, to the east, there were sharp cliffs – the beginning of the mountains. The flight scattered. Rin took the centre line, following the river, while others took advantage of any thermal pockets they could find from the hills or took the shorter, but more dangerous route, close to the mountains. Hunter had caught up as they turned east for the mountains, both still very much in the centre of the pack, although the entire flight had elongated, a few dragons quite some way behind the main pack.

The mountain crags were jagged and treacherous. A wingbeat could start a rockfall, injuring others following too close below. The air was thin above, keeping them between the highest peaks. Only the foolhardy jostled for the lead in the area, most choosing to concentrate on a safe route. Rin was weary as she cleared the mountains, heading toward the lake. It gleamed brightly in the distance, and smelt sweet after the dry atmosphere of the mountains. She risked a glance behind as they turned further west. There had been a few casualties through the mountains, she had heard the yelps of horror behind her, and could see that the flight had reduced in numbers. With relief she saw that Parmer and Hunter were now ahead and unharmed.