first watch // chris chambers (pt. 6)

Everyone had finished their s'mores, Chris gently wiping a speck of marshmallow from your cheek, and you were all relaxing, listening to the soft crackle of the fire.
"Nothin' like a smoke after a meal." Vern said.
Chris handed you a piece of bubblegum from Gordie's bag.
"Yeah. I cherish these moments." Teddy rattled.
Silence.
Then, a storm of laughter filled the campsite.
"What? What'd I say?" Teddy sat up, bewildered.
"Hey, Gordoe, why don't you tell us a story?" Chris said, taking a drag from his cigarette then tapping it.
"Oh, I dunno."
"Oh come on, man." Teddy said persuasively.
"Yeah, tell us a story." You say, shuffling to your side.
Gordie blushed. "Alright."
He began a story about Davie Hogan, or Lardass, a fat kid who entered a pie contest to get revenge on everyone who made fun of him.
The story was gross, but good, and earned some speculation from Teddy and Vern. You kept talking, the boys started to talk about the girls at their school and you just listened, not necessarily interested but happy to be there. You noticed that Chris refused to talk about the girls, and every time Gordie would bring up "Mary" or Teddy would rattle on about "Leslie" or Vern would gush over "Nancy", he'd give you a side glance and try to change the subject or talk about how, "she's not even that hot" in regards to the specific girls the others would talk about, getting closer to you every time. The conversation turned to favorite candies, Vern enthusiastically talking about cherry flavored pez, which he also chose as his food if he could only eat one thing for the rest of his life. Soon, the conversation turned to existential sounding questions, then to who would take first watch.
A loud howl sounded through the woods, startling all five of you. You jumped and Chris put an arm in front of you protectively. Teddy smirked.
"Oh, Chris! Save me! I'm y/n and I-"
"Shut the hell up Teddy."
Another howl could be heard.
"It's Brower." Gordie said, scared out of his mind.
"What is it? I mean, sincerely?" Vern asked.
"Probably coyotes. Who wants to take watch first?"
Teddy volunteered, and walked over to a large pine tree, marching back and forth and muttering things to himself.
"Shit."
"What?"
You rustle the items in your bag. "I don't have a sleeping bag."
"Oh. Um, you can use mine." Chris offered.
"Oh, Chris, that's so sweet, but I don't wanna take your sleeping bag from you I mean that'd just be rude."
"It's okay. We can share." He unzipped it to make it a big blanket and held it up with his arm. You had to be pretty close to him to have the whole thing cover you, and you heard a few "Ooohs" and "Aaahs" from Gordie and Vern, who made the universal "makeout" motion, (turning around and wrapping your arms around yourself and moving around), before bursting into laughter. One of them even went as far as to grab his butt and then say, "Oh! Chris!" which made Gordie snort. You could feel the heat radiating off of Chris's cheeks and he narrowed his eyes.
"Oh shut it Lachance. Tessio." He said, putting the blanket over you and giving both of them a death glare. He faced you.
"Hi."
"Hi." You said, giggling. Your arms were pressed against his chest and you could feel his warmth. He wrapped his arms around you.
"Is this, um... okay?"
He sounded nervous.
"Yeah." You confirmed, blushing even harder.
You fell asleep with your head in the crook of his neck.
An few hours or so later, you woke up to Chris moving away. You kept your eyes closed. He got up and re-covered you with the blanket, tucking it under you as well. You couldn't help but smile, and hid your face.
You heard groaning and turned to look at Gordie, who was rolling and whimpering. Chris, who had been staring into the fire, looked over at him too. Gordie woke up with a gasp. "Are you okay?" Both you and Chris said at the same time.
"Huh?"
"You were dreaming." Chris said reassuringly.
"I didn't cry at Denny's funeral." Gordie said thickly. You could tell he was about to cry now. "I miss him, Chris. I really miss him."
"I know. Go back to sleep."
Chris moved to the big pine tree that Teddy had been at, and Gordie followed him. They talked quietly. You fell back asleep and woke up again to Chris nudging you gently.
"Hey, y/n." He sniffled. "It's your turn, do you want me to take your watch?" You sat up.
"Chris, were you crying?" You gently touch his cheek and wipe a tear away.
"Yeah, it doesn't matter."
"Yeah it does. Do you wanna talk about it? I can take watch."
He nodded quietly and took your hand, bringing you to the pine tree.
He told you about his life, how people assume that he's a bad kid because he took some milk money, but no one knows that he gave it back and it was actually stolen by a teacher, and how everyone just thinks he's a no-good Chambers kid.
He began to cry again, and you hugged him, rubbing his back. You would've never expected someone like him, who seemed so strong and sure of himself, to break down in a girl's arms.
"Chris, it's gonna be okay. I don't think you're a no good Chambers kid. Hell, I think you're the best there is in this town."
He shrugged. "You've only been here for two days, y/n. I'm a thief. That's what people think of me. I'm gonna have to deal with it."
You'd had it.
You grabbed his shirt and pulled him into you, kissing him on the lips. His lips were chapped and wet from tears but you didn't care. They were warm, just like the rest of him. He moved his mouth against yours gently and carefully placed his hands on your waist.
When you pulled away, his eyes stayed closed for a second, then fluttered open.
You sat in silence, both smiling, cheeks as pink as the bubblegum he'd given you that night.

(A/N)
Hope you're enjoying the story! Let me know by commenting and showing a little love.