the treehouse // chris chambers (pt. 2)

The sun beat down on your hair as you climbed up the hill with the two boys. When the treehouse was finally in view, you were never more relieved. The temperature outside was insane... it had to be at least 90 degrees. Climbing into the treehouse, you heard the song "Kansas City," which, when you finally made it inside, was playing from a record player in the corner. You were in awe. The treehouse was amazing. There were pillows, a makeshift table, magazines, cards, everything a bored kid in 1959 could ask for. "Wow." you said, grinning. "Thanks!" You heard a voice and turned to the side to see the boy with the dog tag laying on a pile of pillows and blankets. "It took a while to build with these idiots." Chris and Gordie rolled their eyes.
"Not our fault we aren't treehouse experts, man." Gordie said.
The boy ignored the snarky comment and held out his hand. You shook his hand and he grinned.
"The name's Teddy. Teddy Duchamp."
Chris rolled his eyes.
"Hey, how do you know a Frenchman's been in your backyard?" He said, sitting up and taking a drag from his freshly lit cigarette.
"Hey, I'm french, okay?" Teddy said, lighting his own cigarette.
"Your garbage cans are empty and your dog's pregnant." Gordie laughed and Chris grinned. They slid their hands across each other's twice and you stared and cocked your head.
"You want one, y/n?" Chris asked, holding out a cigarette.
"No thanks, I don't smoke."
"You wanna try?" Chris said, smirking. He put the fresh one back and held out his to try. You didn't want to mess up any chances of having a new friend, so you took it, your fingertips brushing against his. You took a long drag and coughed, handing it back.
"Hee hee! Y/n just screwed the pooch! Can't hold your smoke?" Teddy said, giggling.
"Shut it, Duchamp. You okay?" Chris said, genuinely concerned. You stopped coughing and gave him a brisk thumbs up. He patted your back and let his hand linger. It was warm and you felt your cheeks flush.
Suddenly, a bang sounded.
"What's the secret knock?" Gordie yelled.
"Ah... I forget the secret knock! Lemme in!"
All three boys looked at one another.
"Vern." They all said in monotone voices.
When they moved the makeshift table, the pudgy boy came in, panting.
"You got all your shit?" He said.
"VERN. There's someone else here." Teddy said, nodding in your direction.
"Oh! Forget what I said." He said, his face turning as red as the cherry on a sundae.
"No, wait, what stuff?" you asked. Chris looked at the other boys.
"She's cool, guys. Maybe she'll even come with."
You looked over at him, concern in your eyes. "Whattaya mean?"
"Well," Vern said, wasting no time in beginning the story. To keep it short, he told you about their plan to find the body of some kid, Ray Brower, who'd apparently gone missing after going out to pick some blueberries.
"Well shit... I mean, I have a lot of my stuff in my bag already... I've got clothes, some money, um... some other stuff." You said.
"Hold it, why do you have all that shit?" Gordie asked, peeking in your bag.
"Oh, um, I was sorta trying to run away... you know, when you bumped into me."
Chris and Gordie exchanged knowing glances. "Yeah, we get that."
"You do? Wait... what-" you were cut off by Chris clearing his throat as to change the subject.
"Never mind. So, what do you guys think? Can I come with?" You asked. Honestly, you were hoping you could. It would get you away from your mom for a while, and you were definitely starting to feel something for Chris.
Teddy shrugged. "I guess so. You're pretty hot."
You blushed and glared at him, noticing that Chris did the same.
"What? She is!" Teddy said, putting his hands up in surrender.
"Yeah, she can come. We're leaving in... well... we're leaving right now actually..." Vern said sheepishly. "Are your parents okay with that?" You rolled your eyes.
"I doubt it, but honestly? I don't care."
"Sincerely?" Vern asked, a tiny lisp present in his speech.
"Sincerely." You said, smiling.
This was gonna be fun.