the tracks // chris chambers (pt. 3)

You had changed out of your uncomfortable dress into the jeans and collared shirt you'd brought as Chris covered you with a blanket, blushing hard, and Teddy tried to peek over.
Now that the five of you were on your way, you sang songs like "Little Bitty Pretty One," and "Rockin' Robin."
"So, y/n, what else did you bring?" Gordie asked as Teddy continued singing and Vern hopped from rail to rail on the track.
"Hm... I got some more clothes, a book, a couple dollars, and-"
"SHIT." Chris suddenly said.
"What?" You turned to him as he sat down on the tracks.
"You good?" Vern inquired.
"Who brought the damn food?"
"Ah, shit."
"Dammit."
"Fu-" Teddy began, but he was cut off by Vern.
"Wasn't that YOUR job, Duchamp?"
They began to quarrel and Chris finally interjected.
"Hey, hey, cool it guys. Let's just check how much cash we have."
Everyone plopped down onto the tracks and began rustling their pockets, the sound of change barely evident.
"So I've got $1.02, 68¢ from Chris, 60¢ from Teddy, and... Vern? 7¢?" Gordie said.
Vern shrugged, embarrassed. "I haven't found any pennies yet."
"How much do you have, y/n?" Chris asked.
"I've got about $3."
"Damn! Where'd you get that kinda cash?" Gordie asked.
"Dunno. Found some under my bed when we were moving, copped the rest from my mom's drawer." You muttered.
"Solid." Vern said, grinning.
Once you'd finished counting and everyone had packed the cash away in your bag, you kept walking. A loud whistle called from far behind you.
"Train's comin'" Gordie said, hopping off the tracks. The other boys did the same.
Except Teddy.
"Teddy? What're you doin'?" You asked, becoming increasingly concerned as the train came into view.
"Train dodge. Dig it."
"Hell no, Duchamp. Get off the tracks." Chris said. You could hear the fear in his voice.
The train chugged closer as Teddy dug his heel into the gravel and dirt, making a crunching sound.
"DUCHAMP! GET THE HELL OFF THE TRACKS!" Chris screamed. The train was getting close now.
You began to feel sick and grabbed onto Gordie's arm. His eyes were swimming with fear.
The train's whistle blew loud. Teddy didn't budge.
"DUCHAMP! I SAID GET OFF!" Chris yelled, and at the last second, he tackled Teddy, pulling him away. Teddy began to fight.
"GET THE HELL OFF CHAMBERS!" He screamed as the train whirred by. Vern grabbed Teddy's arms and Gordie held him back. You grabbed Chris's arm and pulled him close.
"YOU WANNA GET YOURSELF KILLED? IS THAT WHAT YOU WANNA DO?" Chris yelled. His voice was barely audible above the loud metallic whine and clinking of the train.
The train finally passed.
"I don't need no babysitter." Teddy said, and spat on the ground.
"You do too." Chris said, finally calming down. "Skin it." He said. You could tell he was worried and didn't want to lose Teddy's friendship.
"Could've dodged it." Teddy said, walking away. "You can dodge it on the way back." Chris said, letting go of your hand that you hadn't realized he was clenching so tightly to.
"Peace, man. Skin it."
Teddy reluctantly did the same motion you'd seen Gordie and Chris do in the treehouse. You kept walking.
You and Chris were in the back. You kept looking at him. He was tense, eyebrows furrowed, frustration making his hands tremble. You quietly stopped him as the others kept walking, and pulled him into a hug. He gasped a little, then wrapped his arms around you.
"It's okay." You said. "You did the right thing. He'll get over it."
Chris pulled away and smiled sheepishly.
"Thanks, y/n."
He held out his hand and gently laced his fingers with yours. You felt your face warm and blush spread across your cheeks.
Suddenly, you felt pressure on your cheek. Chris quickly pulled his lips away and you touched your cheek with your free hand and looked down, smiling.
You kept walking in the hot summer sun as birds chirped sweetly.