the meet cute // river phoenix

(a/n)
I know that Jonathan's imagine is supposed to be next, and it's coming, I promise, but I wanted to throw this one in as a little treat because this idea made me really happy.
🌫☁️Hopefully you enjoy!☁️🌫

The year is 1990.
You've been living in New York for a few months now. It's a cold day and the threat of snow looms over the city. You thrust your shaking hands into your pockets. Even through mittens, your fingers are tingling with numbness.
You look around the bustling street. People are rushing in both directions, huddling close to each other. You see a couple walking, their hands entwined.
The scent of coffee and warm pastries steadily grows as you near your favorite café. You duck inside. There are plenty of warm lights and heaters set up around the building, keeping you comfortable for the short amount of time you're inside. You buy a croissant and a cup of coffee. It's too hot to drink, but it warms your hands.
When you step outside, you feel someone bump into you, nudging your shoulder. The hot coffee that you're carrying spills onto your shirt as you fall.
"Holy shit, I'm so sorry."
A few people stare at you.
You shift on the ground to hold the croissant in your mouth, gripping your cup with one hand and using the other to attempt to soak up the coffee.
You sigh and begin to look up at the person who hit you, smiling a little. You have a pretty good temper, so this exchange unsurprisingly doesn't piss you off that much. Accidents happen.
"It's okay. It warmed me up anyway- oh."
The second you make eye contact with him, your eyes widen and you feel your stomach flutter. You feel like you've seen him before.
"I can buy you another coffee. My treat."
The stranger looks to be about your age. His eyes are a deep grayish blue, his hair a mess of blonde.
Continuing to wipe your shirt, you nod. The stranger holds out his hand. He helps you up, but doesn't let go. Instead, he shakes your hand, smiling sheepishly.
"I'm River."
"River?"
"Yeah. Phoenix."
"I like your name. It's... interesting."
He smiles again, looking down and shoving his free hand in the pocket of his jacket.
"Thank you. Not a lot of people say that."
You shake his hand back.
"I'm y/n."
You notice a little bit of blush begin to spread across his face, revealing a few freckles on his nose.
You both begin to walk back into the café. River buys you another coffee and you sit down at a small table in the corner together.
You sit in silence, quietly sipping your coffee. It tastes a little sweeter with company. The fairy lights decorating the small area illuminate River's face.
You begin to talk.
"Have I... seen you before?" You ask. He narrows his eyes.
"I was thinking about that. You look familiar."
"Who knows. Crazy shit happens every day. Maybe you and I are second cousins."
He laughs and you continue to talk, the ice finally broken.
When you next check the clock, you realize that you were so absorbed in your conversation you hadn't noticed that almost an hour had gone by.
"So. What were you doing before I bumped into you?"
He stares at you. You try not to smile.
"I was on my way to the Corner."
"The bookstore? On 110th?"
"Yeah. I go almost every Saturday. Oh my God! That's probably where we recognize each other from!"
He laughs.
"I love that place."
"Really?"
"Yeah, totally! We should go sometime."
You blush, giving in and finally smiling.
"We?"
He quickly realizes his mistake.
"Oh. I mean, um, you don't have to, I just thought cause, you know, we both- shit, I sound creepy. I know we literally just met. I just really... um, I really feel like we've... connected? It's weird, I know-"
You place a hand on his. His awkwardness is adorable.
"I'd love that."
"Really? Um, when?"
"I'm free right now, actually."
You can tell that he's trying to play it cool, but his adorable smile manages to win the fight. His eyes focus on your lips.
"Oh, there's a little... um..." He reaches out, licking his thumb and wiping a bit of coffee off your cheek. You practically melt into his warm hand.
"I think that was my fault."
You giggle.
After talking for a few more minutes, you get up, putting your jacket back on. You walk outside, into the cold. It begins to snow and quiet jazz plays from a block or so down the street.
You feel a gentle nudge, and River laces his fingers with yours. You look up at him, smile, and continue walking to the bookstore, the snow catching on your eyelashes.

(a/n)
I know this was short, but I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. I'm not super proud of this one, as I don't really like unrealistic stuff where you sort of just 'pop' into a relationship with a stranger. I like buildup, so I try to establish a friendship or make sure that something significant occurs. I'm gonna type a lot tonight/ over this weekend, but I don't know when I'll be posting it all. Probably once a day? Who knows.
Anyway, I love you all.
Thanks for reading!
🌨 - Camhhhh -🌨

WORD COUNT- 904