the body // chris chambers (pt. 8)

As you walked, your and Chris's hands continued to tangle with each other, latching and unlatching, lacing and unlacing.
It was the afternoon, and although it was definitely hot, the dusty-green trees blocked much of the sun from your skin.
It was nice. All anger had been forgotten, and the boys were singing together, jumping around, crunching leaves beneath their converse, laughing, and telling jokes. Birds were chirping, you could hear the gentle sound of a river, and you were happy.
Until you found it.
The body, that is.
You'd decided to each take a side of the pathway, and when Vern yelled out, "There he is! Look! I see him! I see him!" You all jumped and frantically ran to see.
It was sickening, and your grip on Chris's now damp hand tightened as the twisted limbs of Ray Brower came into view.
The kid wasn't sick.
The kid wasn't sleeping.
The kid was dead.
Chris told Teddy and Vern to look for branches to make a stretcher with, breaking the minute long silence we had caused.
"Gordie?"
You turned to see Gordie sit down on a low, crooked trunk of a tree. His eyes never left Ray Brower's.
"Why did you have to die?"
"Hey, what's the matter with Gordie?" Vern asked, peeking over at him.
"N-Nothing. Just go look for some branches, okay?" Chris said.
Chris sat next to Gordie and put an arm around him, and you sat on the other side, rubbing his back.
"Why'd he have to die, y/n? Why'd Denny have to die?"
Chris made eye contact with me. His brother.
"I don't know." You murmured softly.
"It should've been me." he said.
You felt a jolt of alarm run through you. "Don't say that. Don't ever say that, man." Chris said, pulling Gordie closer to him.
"I'm no good, my dad said it I'm no good."
"He doesn't know you." Chris said.
"He hates me." Gordie's voice was barely above a whisper.
"He doesn't hate you." You said firmly.
"He hates me, my dad hates me, oh God." Gordie said, beginning to cry.
He leaned against Chris's shoulder and you continued to rub his back as Chris pressed his head against the crying boy's.
"You're gonna be a great writer someday, Gordie. You might even write a book about us if you get really hard up for material." Chris murmured gently.
Gordie sniffled, and you wiped a tear away.
He mustered a weak smile. "I guess i'd have to be pretty hard up, huh?" He said.
"Yeah."
"Yup."
You all began to laugh softly but were cut off by an aggressive voice.
Ace.
"What the fuck do you know about this?"
"Son of a bitch, my little brother!" Eyeball said, shuffling down the hill.
"Go away. We found him, we're taking him. There are five of us."
Ace smiled gruesomely. "Is that supposed to scare me?" You could just make out a group of four more teenagers coming out of the trees.
"Shit."
"We're taking the body." Ace sneered, flicking his switchblade.
"Fuck off." You snapped at the teens.
"Oh, feisty are you?" Ace broke eye contact with Chris to look at you and licked his lips. "Didn't know you had a girlfriend, Chambers."
"You're gonna have to kill me." Chris said, and he stepped in front of you.
Alarm shot through your body as Ace continued toward Chris.
"Hey, come on ma-" Eyeball began. You were surprised that he seemed to have an ounce of sympathy in his blood.
"Shut the fuck up." Ace said, not even blinking an eye.
"Like I said Ace, you're gonna have to kill me."
Chris laced his fingers with yours.
Suddenly, Ace's eyes narrowed and he lunged, but was stopped.
BANG!
You turned, scared, to see Vern and Teddy with shocked eyes. You followed their gaze and saw Gordie, a .45 in his hand. The same .45 that caused this whole thing.
"Hah. You don't have the balls to shoot me." Ace said. He licked his lips. A trickle of sweat fell down the side of his head.
"Try me." Gordie said, and he cocked the gun.
"Give me the gun, kid. What're you gonna do? Shoot all of us?"
"No Ace, just you." Gordie said calmly.
"You must have some of your brother's common sense." Ace said, smirking.
"Suck my fat one you cheap dime-store hood."
Ace and the rest of his gang stared for a long time.
Then they left.
Chris's grip on your hand didn't release until he heard the cars leaving.
He turned to Gordie.
"Whoever told you ya had a fat one, Lachance."
Gordie turned to you and smiled knowingly.
"Biggest one in four counties."