pool party // wil wheaton

1987

"Y/n!"
"Coming!"
You frantically throw your swimsuit into a bag and sling it over your shoulder, catching your necklace in the process. While you awkwardly try to untie the strap, you hear River yell again.
"I'm coming, I'll be down in a sec!"
You stumble down the stairs, putting on an earring, and jump down the last two steps. Your best friend, River, is waiting, leaning against the door.
"Thank God. I thought I was gonna be 80 by the time you were done." He says, smirking.
"Oh shut up, Phoenix."
"You shut up, y/l/n."
"Mom! I'm going now!"
Your mom gives you a smile and a thumbs up. She's downstairs working on some aerobics or something embarrassing like that, so you quickly turn and open the door, almost sprinting to the car.
"Jesus." River says, sliding into the driver's seat. He starts the car and you pull out your Walkman.
"I dunno why you're so nervous, y/n. It's just a party."
"Yeah, but things are gonna be... different. I can feel it. Plus, it's not just a 'party'," You say, making quotation marks with your hands, "It's a pool party."
River smirks at you again.
"Why's it different? Because of Wil?"
You roll your eyes, but can't stop the blush that begins to spread across your face.
"Look," River says, turning the steering wheel, "You've gotta play it cool, you know?" You nod.
"Just... jump on him."
You punch his arm, smiling. "Oh, fuck off."
"Ow." River grins and rubs his (now probably bruised) arm.
A ten minute drive later, you stop in front of Wil's house. River looks up.
"Damn, Wheaton." He mutters.
He's right... the house is gorgeous.
A huge awning looms over you with perfectly trimmed hedges on either side. You squint. You can barely see the top balcony in the summer sun.
River leans towards you and whispers, "Do you think he's compensating for something?" You snort.
"Just get out of the car."
You walk up to the front door and before you even knock, the door swings open.
"Hello lady and gent. Welcome to the Wheaton residence." Corey, wearing swim trunks and a collared shirt, swings his arm exaggeratedly and you roll your eyes.
"Hey, Corey."
"Sup, Feldman?" River holds his arm out and Corey slides his hand across it twice.
"Nothing much. Besides being rich and having absolute BABES all over me." He pops the collar of his shirt. "I mean, what can I say, I'm a cutie."
You look at him weirdly. "Uh... sure, hot stuff. This isn't even your house."
River laughs, then covers it up with a cough.
"So, where's the party?" River wheezes, still holding back laughter at Corey's weirdness.
"This way, this way." Corey once again waves his arm crazily and begins to walk towards a huge glass door. He starts to tell River that Jerry couldn't make it cause his mom wouldn't let him. Apparently he was failing chemistry.
You look outside and, of course, lock eyes with Wil.
He smiles, his brown eyes sparkling with blue from the reflection of the pool. You notice a few freckles sprinkled across his cheeks.
Suddenly, he's splashes into the pool. You didn't even notice Corey run past you and tackle him.
River laughs and taps your shoulder.
"What?"
"You might wanna... you know, stop drooling?" He laughs and you walk over to a lounge chair, setting down your bag and sighing. You then look up again to admire the beautiful house.
"Hey, y/n, you getting in?"
You turn to see Wil, his arms crossed on the poolside, looking up at you.
You'd been friends for years, ever since you met the boys at the Stand By Me premiere, but recently, you'd started to feel something a little more than friendship for Wil.
You smile. "Hell yeah. I gotta go get my suit on though."
Wil nods at you and smiles back. You notice how his bottom lashes touch his cheeks gently, dark and long.
"Can I come with?" Corey winks at you and you lean down and playfully slap him.
"You. Wish. Where's the bathroom?" You say, turning towards Wil.
He points you down the hallway and you nod, smiling.
Once you have your suit on, you begin to walk back, only to stop when you see a slightly open door. You gently press on it to see Wil's room. Blushing, you realize how much of a creep you're being and quietly close the door, turn, and end up face to face with Wil.
"OH! Um, hi!" You say awkwardly.
You realize just how close you are to him and back away quickly. Your noses had almost been touching.
"Hey." He says. You can tell he's trying to hold back his laughter.
"What're you doing over here?"
"Um... I was coming to check on you. You've been in there for almost 15 minutes."
"Oh... gotcha."
He looks down at your swimsuit, a plain black two-piece, and his eyes widen.
"So... you comin'?" He clears his throat after a moment of silence.
"Um, yeah, sorry."
You can feel the tension in the room.
He then gently takes your hand, making your entire face turn bright red, and leads you back outside.
You sit down on the side of the pool and put your legs in the water. River cannonballs in, drenching you. Suddenly, you feel arms wrap around your waist and throw you in the pool.
"Holy shit!" You spit out some water. "Corey if that's you, I'm gonna-"
Corey laughs at the other side of the pool, responding with a snarky, "Wasn't me!"
You open your eyes to see Wil. His arms are still around you and he starts to laugh at your shocked face. You splash him and wriggle out of his arms, giggling, and bump into River who raises his eyebrows and gives you a knowing look.
After a few hours, Wil hops out of the pool and starts to dry off. You can't help but look at him, earning you an elbow nudge from Riv. At this point, you're getting a little annoyed at his winking and nudging and shit. It's around 6, so the sun is down and the only thing illuminating the patio is the light of the pool and a few strands of warm lights that are strung from the overhang.
Everyone begins to get out of the pool and as soon as you're all dressed...