Theca

The moment the door closed behind Tina, Newt had turned and snatched his case from where he had left it on the ground, quickly making his way to his room. He set the case on the floor and flicked it open, climbing down into it. He didn't need to be in his case every moment of the day but there was always something he could find to do. He left his shed and began busying himself with different tasks around the case. He worked for hours, trusting that Queenie or Jacob would come for him if they needed him.

Newt worked hard and he worked quickly, relying on the effort of physical labor to keep him from thinking. He didn't want to have to think about Tina. She had changed. He wasn't surprised, just upset. He couldn't help but wonder if her change in attitude was his fault; if she was reacting so badly because he was there. It seemed like she was angry at everything, especially at him.

Eventually, Newt returned to the shed to get some supplies. Just as he was about to leave, Jacob came down into the case.

"Hey, Newt!" he called.

Newt had stepped out of the small shed but he stopped when his friend called him.

"It's lunchtime," Jacob informed him.

"Tina?" Newt asked nervously.

"She's out there as well. She was in her room for about half an hour before coming out and apologizing. She said that she couldn't jump to conclusions but Queenie told her she couldn't explain exactly what had happened."

"Well, we were told not to tell her too much of what she can't remember," Newt explained. "You see, the Healer wants her to remember on her own. I don't know how long we'll be able to keep it up though. Tina's very stubborn. I think we're going to end up telling her things anyway."

"Yes, well, come on."

Newt sighed and came back into the shed. After setting his things down, he followed Jacob up the ladder, closing the case behind him. Then he left his room. Tina was already sitting at the table as food settled on its surface. Newt noticed that she was in her usual seat, her back to her room. Jacob had taken his seat to her right, as he always did so Newt moved to his usual spot across from Tina. Queenie joined them a moment later.

Tina seemed to be in a much better mood than she had been. She spoke more often than she had, though most of her conversation was directed towards Queenie. She seemed to have realized that nothing from the last three years was going to be explained because she didn't bother asking. Every time Newt offered an answer to one of her questions she would glare at him and thank him coldly. Eventually, Newt fell silent, realizing that it might be best not to agitate her further.

When the meal was over, Tina declared that she was tired and wanted to sleep. Before anyone could protest, she had vanished back into her room. Newt sighed and buried his face in his hands.

"She's not mad at you, Honey," Queenie said gently.

"But she hates me. She won't talk to me at all and she glares at me every time I speak or enter the room."

"She doesn't hate you, she just doesn't know who you are and she's uncomfortable around you. And . . ." Queenie trailed off.

Newt looked up suddenly. "And what?"

Queenie quickly pulled up a chair and took a seat beside Newt.

"You see, Tina has changed a lot since she was 23," she started. "She began her training as an Auror when she was 18, almost 19. Despite having been one of the best students in her class, she had a bit of trouble when she started as an Auror."

"Why?"

"You know, her horrible sense of timing," Queenie explained. "She always managed to be exactly where she wasn't wanted. In a way, it made her the best Auror because she always managed to get things done, but her superiors didn't see it that way. Her own boss had taken to calling her a useless tagalong who only managed to mess things up. Many of her coworkers were jealous of her. Since she was one of the only women on the team, they used that to their advantage, poking fun at her and telling her that she couldn't handle the work. Since their boss had started it, they saw no problem with it and he didn't stop them.