Conveniunt

"So," Tina said suddenly, startling Newt out of his thoughts.

"So what?" he asked, confused. He set down the notes he was going over and turned to look at her.

"What happened yesterday, at MACUSA?" she said, taking a seat across the table from him. "What did they want?"

"Oh, that," Newt mumbled, quickly ducking his head. "They, uh-- They wanted me to go on a mission."

"Like, as an Auror?"

"No, not really."

"But why you?" Tina asked.

"Because apparently, some people are using a beast to attack Muggles."

"What kind of beast?"

"I don't know. They don't know," Newt explained. "That's why they want me. They want me to go with Harper to identify and confiscate the creature."

"So when do you leave?"

He looked up. "Who said I was going?"

Tina shrugged. "You were offered a job. I just assumed you'd accept."

"Well, I didn't."

"Oh, come on, Newt. You can't just give up on the chance to go on a mission. I'd love to go on one."

"I'm not you, Tina," he sighed. "Besides, I didn't say no."

"Oh. Well, why didn't you tell me about this yesterday?"

"Because I needed time to think about it."

"And did you?"

Newt sighed again. "No, Tina. I haven't decided yet."

Tina shrugged and got to her feet. She turned and reached for a mug. 

"Would you like some tea?" she asked over her shoulder.

"Yes, please."

Newt watched as she began to prepare his tea, as well as a mug of coffee for herself. Despite the fact that she seemed to have moved on, he knew their conversation was far from over. Sure enough, when she turned back to the table she began asking questions.

"Why don't you want to go?" she asked.

"There's a number of reasons," he replied evasively, reaching for his tea. Tina pulled the steaming mug away from him.

"You don't get this unless you give me at least one good reason why you don't want to go."

"I don't see why this is bothering you so much. It's not like it matters to you."

"I'm bored. I need something to do."

"And that something has to be annoying me?"

Tina shrugged and Newt let out a laugh.

"Of course. That would be your idea of fun."

She grinned at him and took a sip of her coffee, cradling the warm mug in both hands. He took the opportunity to grab his cup of tea. She made a noise of protest and moved to try and stop him, nearly spilling her coffee in the process. He chuckled and took a sip of the warm tea.

Having swallowed her mouthful of coffee, she glared at him. "Not fair."

He just laughed and they fell silent, both sipping at their respective drinks. Newt glanced towards the window. The curtains were pulled back and he could see a few snowflakes drifting lazily through the darkening sky.

"I'm not an Auror, Tina," he said.

"What?" she said, jumping slightly. Her mind had wandered and she had been so focused on trying to remember the plot to a book she had read as a child that she had nearly forgotten he was in the room.