Frustratio

Newt snapped the case shut behind him and set it against the wall. He unrolled his sleeves, buttoning the cuffs. Then he adjusted his suspenders and grabbed his waistcoat, pulling it on and buttoning it up.

Just then, he heard the rustling of sheets coming from Tina's bed. He moved across the room quickly, gently taking a seat on the edge of her bed. Her eyes fluttered open.

"Good morning, sleepyhead," he chuckled as she blinked up at him.

"What time is it?" she mumbled.

"Five till eight," he replied. "I was just getting ready to go up to the dining hall for breakfast. I was hoping you'd wake up before I left."

"You mean I slept for . . ." She trailed off. She had been trying to sit up and dizziness was beginning to overwhelm her. 

Newt pushed her down gently.

"Twelve hours," he said. "Over twelve hours." He gently touched the backs of his fingers to her forehead. "Well, you don't have a temperature," he observed. "But don't try sitting up right now. Now, I'm going up to breakfast. I'll try and sneak something down for you." He hesitated. "Are you going to be okay down here on your own?"

"Of course," she replied, managing a smile. 

"Okay," Newt said softly.

Leaning over, he pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. She lifted her head from the pillow to return the kiss.

"No," he mumbled. "Don't."

Tina sighed.

"Okay."

"I'm going to go now."

"Hurry."

"I will."

Newt kissed her again before getting to his feet and pulling on his jacket and coat. Then he left the room to go get himself breakfast. When he returned, he helped Tina into a sitting position and handed her food. She ate slowly, careful not to move too quickly.

When she was done, she motioned for Newt to join her on the bed. He did so and they shifted positions so that Newt was sitting up and Tina was lying down with her head in his lap. He stroked her hair gently as they talked. 

After Newt had brought Tina her lunch, he proceeded to pack everything in the small room with a flick of his wrist. Once he was sure he had gotten everything, he took Tina's suitcase and put it in his own.

"Do you think, Tina, if I helped you, could you stand?" he asked. "Walk?"

"I might be able too," she said hesitantly.

"Okay," Newt said absentmindedly. His thoughts raced about his mind as he tried to decide what to do. "We'll be leaving this ship soon. I think we ought to go up to the deck but I don't want you fainting again," he mumbled, more to himself than to Tina.

"Newt," Tina said firmly. He stopped mumbling and looked down at her. "I feel a lot better than I did yesterday. I can sit up without feeling too dizzy. I'll be fine."

"Okay then," he replied nervously.

He helped her out of her bed and into her shoes and coat. She clung to his arm as she led him out of their room and up to the main deck. They crossed the deck to the bench nearest the gangplank and Tina sunk down. Newt sat down beside her and she slumped against him, resting her aching head on his chest. He slipped his arms around her, holding her close.

They watched as the land grew closer, spreading across the horizon. Eventually, the boat docked and the passengers filed off. Newt helped Tina down the gangplank and they made their way through customs. Then they slipped into the nearest alley.