Oscula

Newt fidgetted nervously as his brother adjusted his bowtie.

"Stop moving," Theseus scolded. "Why are you so nervous? It's only Tina."

"That's just it, Theseus," Newt replied, running a hand through his hair. They had tried to comb it but the curly locks had refused to stay down. He let out a sigh. "It's Tina."

"How is that a problem? You've been on hundreds of dates with her and this isn't even a date. You should be used to this by now."

"This isn't like the other times. This time I'm not afraid that she'll reject me. I got over that fear a long time ago. This time I'm afraid of how I'll react."

Theseus looked at him curiously. "What do you mean?"

"You don't understand how hard these last few months have been for me," Newt explained. "Living with Tina, seeing her every day, and not being able to hold her and kiss her the way I used to. Every time I see her I just want to take her in my arms but I can't.

"I know what Leta and Queenie are like. I know they're going to do their best to make Tina look nice. Tina's already a beautiful woman and if your and Queenie's weddings are anything to go by . . ." He trailed off, burying his face in his hands. "It was hard enough then when I didn't know what it was like to kiss her."

Newt felt his brother's hand on his back.

"It's okay, Newt. You'll be fine," he soothed. "But, I think people are starting to arrive so I need to get out there and find my wife so we can be the hosts we're supposed to be."

Newt nodded and they left the sitting room. As they approached the staircase, their mother came down. Her long black dress swept the floor as she bore down on them.

"Ah, mother," Theseus greeted. "You're just the person I was hoping to see."

"Your guests are starting to arrive, Theseus," she said coolly. "You ought to be out there welcoming them."

"I know, mum. I was hoping you'd go up and tell the girls. I'm not sure if they're ready so I'd rather not intrude."

"Very well, but get yourself out there."

Theseus nodded and moved towards the door. Their mother turned and made her way back up the stairs. Newt hung back, waiting for the women to arrive. A few minutes later, Jacob arrived. He joined Newt at the bottom of the stairs.

"How are you feelin', buddy?" he asked.

Newt shrugged. "I've been better."

"Don't worry too much about it," Jacob said. "Remember what you told me about worryin'?"

Newt sighed. "I know but -- but what if I can't handle it?"

"You'll be fine, Newt."

Leta was just about to open the door when a knock came from the other side. She opened it to reveal a tall woman in a floor-length black dress. Her reddish-brown hair was swept up into an elaborate hairstyle but Tina could see that it was greying slightly.

This must be Newt's mother, she realized.

"Theseus sent me to get you, Leta," the woman said. "People are arriving."

Leta smiled. "Yes, of course. Thank you, Helena." She left the room and Queenie motioned for Tina to come. She stepped forward nervously.

"Hello, Tina," the woman said, offering her a friendly smile. "It's wonderful to see you again."

Tina glanced at her sister who smiled reassuringly.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered. "I don't-- I don't know who--"