RULE # 10: THINK BEFORE YOU ACT

Choices

Three years ago...

Dara re-read her boyfriend's message – unable to reply immediately. "He's a very good friend" she typed in her chat box.

Joseph was asking about a picture of her and Ji Yong at HappyLand. She had posted it on her social web page, taking for granted that it could look rather different to another person. It was quite a cute and happy picture of the both of them and she just felt really glad looking at it.

"You don't look like 'just' very good friends" her boyfriend accused.

She tried to divert the conversation "I know. We look like sister and brother right? By the way, I bought a lot of 'pasalubong' for you and everybody else. How are you guys?"

It worked. Joseph narrated what had happened while she was gone. He had been offered a modeling gig and had gone out, recently, with some of their batch mates. One of her friends, Roxanne, was pursuing a career in acting on stage. She and Joseph had been invited to watch her debut.

She reacted as expected and didn't show that she was being torn up inside.

What was she feeling for Ji Yong really?

He made her happy, that much she was sure but wasn't she just missing Joseph? Didn't Ji just act as a replacement?

She honestly didn't know... but everytime she closed her eyes... it wasn't Joseph's face she saw... it was Ji.

***

A night with fireflies

The eve of Dara's departure, Ji knocked on her window and asked her to meet him at the playground. He'd miss doing that he was sure.

"You're leaving tomorrow" he began, a lump in his throat as they seated themselves on the swings "so, Han asked me to give you this coz she couldn't make it tonight."

Dara opened the parcel and got teary-eyed – it was a pair of the firefly earrings they both wanted. "Oh my. Oh my" she said, fighting back tears "How sweet of Han."

"There's also a note there but she said you should read it when you're already on the plane."

She saw the note and folded it. "I'll wear these earrings tomorrow for good luck."

Ji smiled. He wouldn't make this good-bye a sad one... hell. He wasn't going to treat this as a goodbye at all. They'll see each other soon... very very soon.

"Hyung also wanted you to have this. He says it's because you are such a kid."

It was a stuffed mini-bear, one that could act as a key-chain. Dara's eyes watered. "Oh! Those two!"

He watched as she held both gifts to her heart and uttered a thank you.

"I feel so sad that I couldn't see them" she proclaimed.

"Well, you'll see them soon won't you? I'm sure you'll have vacations here."

Dara nodded. "Of course. Of course."

"So you'll still get to see all of us. Just make sure to stay in touch when you get there."

"I will" she sniffed, still not letting her tears fall "Hey! How about you? Don't I have a going away present from you?"