Nineteen.

Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I sighed. Sure I looked hott and I was excited for the masquerade party at Tyler's house, but I had missed my concert.

Jeremy and I had left and were almost to the venue when he got a phone call. His Aunt Jenna had an accident and was in the hospital. I had insisted that I take him there myself. He had tried to look torn about it. I'll give him credit for that. He knew how important the concert had been to me, but there was no contest.

So, I had taken him to the hospital as fast as I could and dropped him off. There would be another time for a concert. We talked alot on our hour long road trip and gotten to know each other a bit more. He was a pretty cool guy and we had similar tastes in music and movies. He even opened up to me about his ex Anna and how he had tried to kill himself to become a vampire. This had shocked me. But, he said he didn't want that anymore. Mostly because of what he had learned about his sister and the Salvatore brothers. That seemed like a total shitstorm from what I could tell.

He had promised to make it up to me another time.

Tyler had been busy yesterday helping his mom and the other volunteers set up for the party tonight, so I hadn't seen him but he had told me that Mason had left town again.

I heard the disappointment in his voice over the phone when he told me. He thought that since he had given Mason the moonstone that he had gotten what he had come back for and left.

There had to be some way to cheer him up and I promised to do just that.

Christine has taken me shopping for a dress and we had picked out the perfect one. It was a white strapless mini. She even bought me my first pair of heels.

I felt a little out of my element when I finally walked in the door of the Lockwood's house. Everyone looked beautiful and mysterious.

Wandering through the party I lifted my mask and slipped it onto my face. The elastic snapped on the back of my head.

Someone bumped into me from behind as I walked by the staircase.

"Sorry about that." I hear a familiar male voice.

Smiling, I turned to look at Jeremy Gilbert. He cleaned up well.

"Oh, wow. You look great." He said.

"Thanks, Jeremy." I reply. "You too."

"Devon?" He gaped and didn't hide the fact that he was checking me out.

I laughed. "Who did you think it was?"

He blushed slightly. "Honestly, I had no idea. I was just being nice."

Placing a hand on the small of my back, Tyler announces his presence. "I'll let it slide that you were checking out my girl, Gilbert. But, just this once. She does look amazing, doesn't she."

I turn to grin at him. My heels are so tall that I'm just as tall as him tonight.

"Yeah. Uh, yeah. I gotta go. See you guys later." Jeremy rushes off.

Tyler laughs out loud. "Scared him off, didn't I."

I nudge him gently with my elbow.

"Oh, just a heads up, Aimee and Sarah are here." He says with a comical grin on his face.

"As long they keep their distance from you, they'll be fine." I kiss him.

He turns away when Matt walks up. "Hey guys."

"Hi, Matt. I haven't seen you in a while. How you holding up with the whole Caroline thing?" I ask.

He shrugs. "I'll be alright, I guess. You guys want to pre game a little bit?"