Five.

Bounding down the stairs, I called out to Christine. "I'll be back later."

"Hold on, young lady. Where are you going?" She stepped out of the kitchen with a dish towel in her hands.

I check my reflection in the hallway mirror. "To the Mystic Grill."

"Are you meeting with the Lockwood boy?"

I nod at her. She looks excited.

"Are you two dating?" She asks like she's my friend.

"No." I groan. "We're just friends."

"But, you like him. He's very cute." She smiles widely.

Rolling my eyes, I grab my purse. "I'm leaving now."

"Devon, are you wearing makeup?" She teases me.

I sigh loudly and open the front door.

"Home by ten, please! It's a school night!" She calls out.

I head down the walkway to my car. My phone pings and it's Tyler.

'Your fries are getting cold.'

I laugh and respond, 'I'm on my way.'

Turning on the car, I sing along to the radio as I drive to the grill. Once I get there, I take a deep breath before walking inside.

There are lots of people inside. Sitting at the bar drinking, playing pool, and eating and chatting at the tables. It's a lively scene and I feel a slight rush just from being among the people.

Glancing around, I see Tyler at a booth by a window. I make my way over to him and see a blonde boy standing by the table. I recognize him from school but don't know who he is.

Tyler notices me and smiles. "There she is."

"Hey." I smile and slide into the booth.

"Devon, I'd like you to meet Matt." He says.

I look shyly up at the blond boy. His blue eyes seem kind.

"Hi. Nice to meet you. I was starting to think Tyler was lying about you." Matt says.

I smile slightly at him.

"You should know, Matt's last name is Donovan." Tyler grins at me.

"What? Is he...?" I stutter out.

"Vicki's brother. Yeah." Tyler says and stands up. "I'm gonna go get those fries."

"Wait. You knew Vicki?" Matt asks incredulously.

I nod. "We were friends over the summer. She told me she had a brother, but never told me your name."

"I didn't really know a lot of her friends. I knew about the losers in the graveyard and Tyler and Jeremy fighting over her but that's it."

"She said you were too busy with football and pining over your ex-girlfriend to care about her." His shocked and hurt expression made me realize I had probably gone too far. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

He shook his head and cut me off. "No. It's alright. I know how she felt, I guess I just haven't heard it put that way. It puts some things in a different perspective."

"I'm sorry she ran away. I miss her too."

His eyes met mine with a sad look. "I'm glad she made a friend like you. Someone to talk to. She couldn't do that with me. You were probably good for her."

I smile at him as Tyler makes his way back to the table. "How are we doing? Are we making friends?"

"Tyler has this idea that I am in an urgent need of a social life." I tell Matt.