Eight.

*first of many long chapters*

No sooner had I put my clothes up in my room and switched purses to something that matched my dress, my doorbell rang.

"Devon! Tyler's here!" Christine called for me.

I grabbed the white 1950's style cardigan Katie had lent me and wobbled a bit in the heels she gave me as well.

"Coming!"

I shut the door behind be and took a deep breath. Walking down the stairs slowly, so I didn't fall on my face, I felt more nervous than ever before. Butterflies flew around in my stomach and my heart beat rapidly.

At the bottom of the stairs, Tyler and Christine turned to look at me. Tyler's eyes widened when he saw me and Christine almost looked proud.

"Wow." Tyler said quietly.

"You look beautiful, Devon. Just make sure you wear that cardigan. Don't want you to get cold." Christine said.

"Uhm.. yeah." My eyes never left Tyler.

He looked so handsome in his suit, I almost didn't recognize him. He looked older somehow, more respectable.

"You clean up well, Lockwood." I say smartly, trying to break the tension between us.

He grins. "I think it's genetic."

Smirking, I slip my arms through the sleeves of my cardigan.

"Have a good time, you two." Christine says happily.

"What time do you want me home?" I ask.

She looks surprised. "Oh, I didn't think about that. Well, it's a Friday night and a school function, so how about midnight?"

"Really?" I'm shocked. She's never let me stay out that late except the one time I stayed the night with Vicki when she had the house to herself.

Christine nods. "Just be careful and have fun."

Tyler takes my arm and leads me out the door to his truck. Thankfully, I only wobble once and he doesn't notice.

He shuts the passenger door behind me and walks around to the driver side door of his truck. Once inside, he starts the engine and turns to me.

"You look..."

"Amazing? Hott? Sexy?" I joke.

He sighs and smiles that cocky grin of his at me.

"Yeah. All of that."

"It's the makeup right?" My butterflies are still going crazy, but I'm less nervous now that I'm alone with him.

He laughs and shakes his head. He backs the truck up and we head towards the school.

"I almost don't want to take you in there and keep you all to myself. I know every other guy in there is going to want you, too." Tyler says while trying to drive and keep one eye on me.

"So, your finally admitting it?" I ask.

"What?"

"That you 'want' me?" I put my fingers up and made air quotes. "Your words, not mine."

He laughs again. "Hey, that's out of context. And, I thought it was obvious I liked you."

I blush at hearing him be so direct about it. "A little. I've never really liked anyone, so..."

"So, I'm the first? Like ever?" He asks incredulously.

"Don't sound so shocked. Not every girl is outgoing or direct."