Seven.

After school, I burst through the front door.

"Christine!"

No answer. I dropped my backpack and ran up the stairs two at a time.

"Christine!"

She stuck her head out of her bedroom door looking startled.

"What? Is everything okay?" She sounded concerned.

"No! I have nothing to wear to a dance! I don't think I've had a dress since I was like five!" I probably sounded hysterical.

"Oh, Devon! Did someone ask you to a dance? I bet it was that Lockwood boy."

"Yes! What am I going to do? It's tonight and I have nothing to wear!"

"Calm down. I have a meeting at the office soon. But, go ahead and take my debit card. Go shopping. I wish I could take you myself. "

"Thanks, Christine. Your a lifesaver."

I hurried back down the stairs in search of her purse. I found it in the kitchen. It took me a minute because I had never been in her purse before. But, I found the card and slipped it into my own purse before leaving again.

I headed down towards main street. I remember there being a dress shop close to the grill. Hurrying inside, I hope there is something left.

Tyler had told me it was the 1950s decade dance, but of all the decades, that one wasn't particularly my favorite. I told Tyler I wouldn't be going in costume. He had agreed.

Inside the shop, there were dresses everywhere. I felt a bit overwhelmed and shocked. Who needed this many dresses?

"You look lost. Did you wait till the last minute, too?"

I look around to find the girl talking to me. A brunette girl with her hair pulled back in two low messy buns was staring at me. She was wearing patchwork looking blue jeans and a pink Rocawear tank top. Her earrings were some of the biggest silver hoops I had ever seen.

"Uh... yeah." I respond.

"You going to the decade dance?"

I nod shyly.

She smiles and it seems sincere. "Me too. Wanna help me look?"

"Okay." I say and head towards her.

"I'm Katie Frieden. "

"Devon Bradford."

"So, you have a date tonight?" She picks up a blue dress and holds it out to me.

"Yeah. Tyler Lockwood." I shake my head at the dress and she shrugs and sets the dress back down.

"Isn't he a football player?"

I nod. "Yeah." I look at a rack of black dresses in front of me. "I've never been to a dance before."

"Really? Their fun if you like to dance." She smiles.

I smile back and take the handful of dresses from her.

"Try these on and I'll grab a few and meet you back there."

"Okay." I head back to a dressing area while she grabs a bunch of dresses off a rack.

In the dressing room, I try on a red, floor length, spaghetti strap dress. The top is way too small and my boobs hang out. Definitely not. I want Tyler to see me, not my boobs. I change into a short, blue halter dress with rhinestones across the belt. It's nice, but not really my style. I rifle through the dresses still hanging up and find a simple, black strapless dress.

I really like the dress but kind of want a second opinion. Even though I just met this Katie girl, I kind of like her. She seems down to earth, and really nice.

"Katie?" I step out of the dressing room.

"Yeah?" She peeks her head out of another door next to mine.

I look down at myself in the dress and back to her.

"You look really hott. Tyler will love it." She grins.

"You think so?" I ask.

She nods. "Oh yeah. Black really looks good on you. A smokey eye would make your whole face pop."

"I don't know how to do a smokey eye."

She gapes at me. "Wow. I thought it was a trademark with the little black dress."

"Well, I've never had any dresses, so..." I look at the ground.

She steps out and spins in her short white tshirt style dress. "This is the one. I've got a poodle skirt and cardigan at home that would go great with this. What do you think?"

"It's pretty."

"Good. Change back and we'll buy our dresses. Do you have shoes?"

"Heels? No."

"What size are you?"

"Six and a half."

She grins happily. "I wear a seven so I should have the perfect pair for you. Let's go."

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Two hours later, I'm standing in Katie's bedroom on the far side of Mystic Falls. Fergie is playing on her stereo as she does my make up.

"Perfect." She leans back and smiles. "Tyler's going to drop dead. Is he your boyfriend?"

"No. But, I like him alot. We only met a couple days ago." I reply and look at my reflection.

I look beautiful. Somehow, Katie has gotten rid of my freckles and made my normally dull brown eyes look amazing.

"Obviously he likes you, too. I mean he invited you to the dance."

I blush and grin. "I hope so."

"Not trying to be weird, but guys like it when you dance sexy. Especially guys like Tyler. I've dated a football jock. Most of them have the same personality. Party, pull chicks, football. Repeat."

Laughing, I say, "Tyler has a sweet side."

"You're lucky then. Jason, my ex was a straight jerk. He only wanted one thing. But, anyways. You know how to dance, right? Cuz that will get his attention." She turned to the mirror and put some pink lip gloss on.

"Yeah, I guess. An old friend taught me a bit. She said it wasn't hard. And apparently I have a body that demands attention if I let it." I look at all the makeup she has on her vanity table. So many brushes and vials, paints and powders. I have no idea what to do with half of it.

Katie laughs. "That friend of yours was right. Every girl wants a body like yours. Your lucky. I've got no curves, no butt. The only thing I have is boobs and they still aren't half as big as yours."

I shrug. "I guess."

My phone pings. A text message from Tyler.

'Be there in twenty. Stopping at the gas station. Want anything?'

'No thanks. See u soon.' I respond.

"Hey, I gotta get going but I'll see you later, right?" I grab my purse and clothes from earlier.

Katie grins, "Duh. Whether you like it or not, were friends now Devon. I've decided you need a girl friend to teach you the ropes."

"Alright." I smile and leave.

How had things changed so suddenly? A week ago I was invisible and had no life. Now, here I was, with two friends and one was a possible boyfriend. I was going to a dance. Things were looking up for me and moving fast. I didn't want it to stop. Maybe I really had found my home at last. One thing was for sure, I was going full speed ahead and refused to look back.