Twenty Three.

After spending a whole day moping and trying to wrap my mind around everything that's happened, I throw the huge comforter off of me and scramble across the humongous bed to reach my incessantly ringing phone.

"What?" I practically shout into it.

"Devon, I need you to come get your things." George says angrily into the phone.

My adopted father's voice was the last one I expected to hear. I should have probably thought to call him since the accident but no one knew it was my fault. So, he shouldn't either.

"What?"

"Meet me at the house immediately. We need to talk."

He hangs up and I gape at my phone. What the hell was that?

I put my phone into my pants pocket and run through the house.

"Damon! Elena!" I call for anyone in the house. "Stefan!"

Elena almost runs into me at the bottom of the stairs. "Slow down. What's wrong?"

"Can you give me a ride? I guess I need to go home."

"Yeah. Let me grab my purse. What happened?"

I follow her down the hall.

"My foster dad called. He's upset and wants me to come home. He didn't sound right."

"Let me send Stefan a text and let him know what's going on."

She quickly sends the text and we hurry out of the house and into her suv.

She drives into town and I tell her where I live. We pull up in front of my house and I get out of the car.

"Do you want me to wait?" Elena asks.

"If you don't mind?" I reply.

"You have my number. Just text me."

I nod and head into the house. The first thing I notice is boxes everywhere. What the hell is going on?

"George?" I call and walk down the hall. "Cody?"

Cody steps into view from the kitchen. His face is puffy and red from crying. "We're in here."

Walking into the kitchen, I see George sitting at the island with a stack of papers in front of him.

"Where have you been, Devon? You weren't at mom's funeral." Cody asks sniffling as he wraps his arms around me.

His unbearable sadness makes my eyes well up. "I... I uh.... I'm sorry Cody."

"Cody, go change out of your suit and finish packing your room." George says sternly.

Cody sighs and hangs his head sadly before moving away down the hall.

"I don't care where you've been. We have business to discuss. Have a seat."

I widen my teary eyes at him. "I'm sorry, George. I..."

"Save it. You and I both know you never were a part of this family. It didn't matter how hard Christine wanted you or tried with you, it didn't work."

I gape as a tear falls down my cheek. "But..."

"The moving van will be here within the hour. Cody and I are moving across the country to be closer to my parents. I've already signed your legal guardianship over to Mrs. Lockwood. Christine wanted you to be happy and as my last effort on your part, I hope you will be happy there."

"What?" My heart falls into my gut.

"I can't change the fact that my wife wrote you into her will shortly before she died. To my disappointment she had apparently made you a trust fund. She signed more than half of our savings away to you. Cody and I will still be quite comfortable, but I'm still disappointed in her and you. I honestly don't know what she ever saw in you."