Twelve.

A couple days later, I'm sitting on my bed after taking a shower. I had just gotten home from Vicki's funeral. It had been a rough few days. I hadn't even left my house unless I was with Tyler. I just didn't feel safe anymore. He even drove me to and from school now.

Nothing made sense, so I retreated to my room and my books.

Even Tyler seemed a bit distant lately, but he was probably dealing in his own way and I respected that. I felt terrible for Matt. After begging for his number from Tyler, I had called Matt in tears to give him my condolences. He had probably heard it all before, so I tried to not push it too much. But, surprisingly he had talked to me for a while about her. We had both agreed that it wasn't fair. Her life had ended way too soon.

Tyler had told me about the founder's party tonight at his house. He had even asked me to go with him, but I opted out and promised to stay at home. I just wasn't ready to socialize in a big group. More than that, I just didn't want to get all dolled up for an event I didn't know anything about. I didn't have the energy or desire to do anything.

Suddenly, I remembered that Jeremy Gilbert had been dating Vicki. He had to be feeling terrible. I didn't know him that well, but for some reason, I wanted to talk to him.

I texted Matt, knowing he would probably have Jeremy's phone number. He had dated Jeremy's sister, after all.

He almost immediately texted me back.

'Why do you want to talk to Jeremy?'

'I feel bad for him. He cared for Vicki, too. I remember her saying he didn't have a lot of friends after his parents died.'

'Fine. But dont tell Ty I gave you his number. He wont like it.'

'I promise'

As soon as I had the number, I called him. He answered on the third ring.

"Hello?"

"Is this Jeremy?"

"Yeah. Who's this?"

"Devon Bradford."

"Who?"

"I used to be your lab partner."

"Oh, right."

"I'm sorry to bother you, but I, uh... I was friends with her and I saw you today and I just wanted to..."

"Her, who?"

"Vicki."

"Oh."

"Uh... I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have called."

"No, it's okay. It's just I don't remember all that much."

"What?"

"I mean, I know I loved Vicki but I don't really remember a lot from those last few days with her. We were always messed up."

"Oh."

"Yeah. It's uh, weird. I didn't even know you two were friends. She never talked about you."

"Well we weren't for very long if that makes you feel better." I try to lighten the mood. "I just wanted to know how you were doing."

"I have these blanks in time. I don't... sorry, I shouldn't be talking to you about this."

"No, it's fine."

"I mean I felt fine after I thought she ran away. I still don't feel right. I know I should feel more about it. But, there's a block in my head and I read my sister's diary."

"Wait. I'm confused. You said there's a block in your mind?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Do you get confused about things?"