Chapter Two

Synn's POV

She smiles, a small grin that clearly shows why she's here.

"Hello, Your Highness," Dahlia looks to me, her bright white eyes glued to me. She has
silk-white hair tied into a long braid at the side of her head, a single violet streak flowing through it. Her white, feathery wings are raised above her head. She has clear, porcelain skin and doll-like features. I remember when we were kids, when she wore her pigtails.

"Dahlia," I nod to her, an eyebrow raised expectantly. She gives me a look for a moment, but then takes a deep breath. She looks almost dizzy.

"That's it? After what happened yesterday, that's all you want to say?" she complains, brows furrowed in annoyance.

I groan. Oh for the love of... Not this again.

"Well, what do you want me to say? There's nothing to clarify!"

"And?" she urges, her eyes wide.

"And that's that."

She narrows her bright eyes at me once more. "And what did you feel? Didn't you... You know..."

It's my turn to narrow my eyes. "No, I don't know. Explain."

She groans in frustration, clearly stressed out that I'm not working it out for myself. "Have feelings, Synn! Don't you ever feel anything towards me? You promised me when we were younger... That I'd be your future queen, but..."

I sigh. This is ridiculous. "So? We were young, Dahlia. Teenagers, really. The pearl could choose anyone, and I'm not in love. What matters is my kingdom, and not to mention the fact I have discussed this with you before. You keep getting the wrong-"

She gawks at me, hurt evident in her eyes. Her entire stance has fallen, her wings drooping low. Every ounce of hope she walked into this room with has vanished.

"Right. Of course. I understand, I'll be on my way," she whispers.

I frown. Dahlia has been my close friend ever since we were children. She knows many of my secrets, the kinds of things I don't even tell Delphine, my stepsister. I wouldn't bother telling Xander anything - he would blab about it to half the kingdom.

"Wait, Dahlia!" I call out.

She turns around, looking anxious. "Yes, Synn?"

"Just... Go on. Prepare a dress. You're coming to the Centennial Selection,"

∞༺♥༻✧

Kora's POV

I stare at myself in the mirror.

It's absolutely... Utterly... Formal.

And I hate it. I'm wearing a blue-green long flowing lacy dress with a light turquoise silk petticoat, my moon pendant around my neck. My mother gave it to me, years ago. It's silver with real little diamonds for the moon. If anyone asks I always tell them it's fake. It means too much to me to risk losing or getting stolen.

It's not that I don't look nice – I really do, and it's amazing that I have an opportunity to go to an event like this at all. But something just feels so wrong.