Chapter Eighteen

Solona's POV

"Maybe this wasn't such a good idea..."

"You think?"

Kora begins to stir, her bright eyes flickering open, trying to adjust to the dim lighting of my chamber. She's as pretty as many of the empresses, I can see that now. Her dark, curly hair that falls below her shoulders, her heavy-lidded eyes with short thin lashes, her rasp, melodic voice.

No wonder Prince Synn always seems so taken by her. And that is something that will greatly work in our favour.

"Mnnnnf... Where... M- Marisol? Crowned Concubine Velia?" she stutters now, her eyes wide and awake, a look of pure confusion and distrust embedded in them.

"This may be seem very- er, unusual, but trust me, Lady Kora, we have our reasons for..." Velia trails off, unsure of what to call this whole situation.

Kora scoffs. "Kidnapping me?"

"Er... Yes,"

"I'm no Lady. Just call me Kora," she says, but there's still a twinkle of doubt shining in her eyes. I don't blame her. I mean, how else were we supposed to get her to listen without anyone prying? Forming something like this takes time, and we need a face for- well, this.

"And also, didn't the physician say you must rest until fully healed? What about your miscarriage?" Kora blurts out, before biting her lip, clearly scolding herself for being so blunt.

Velia's eyes mist over, sadness shining in them. "Yes, Kora. But this is more important. M- My baby is gone now. I have no further purpose in this palace. But thanks to Consort Marisol, we may just be able to change things..."

Kora raises an eyebrow. "Hold on! You don't get to knock me out, drag me to your chamber, and then start pitching some weird idea to me! What is all of this? Why did you... I don't understand anything!"

I sigh, and look to Velia, "She's still processing it all, Velia. Tell her the story of Consort Lylah. Maybe then she will understand,"

"Consort Lylah? The only consorts here are you, Consort Ilakkiya and Consort Deramaya-"

"Not now. There were many Consorts for the King before us,"

Velia gives me a firm look before turning to Kora, beginning the story. She describes in great detail the fame of Consort Lylah, how she even managed to captivate the attention of Royal Guards, how her beauty was known throughout the kingdoms.

Then she went on to depict how the King requested her for night attendance again and again, until he told her she'd be crowned the following morning.

Velia describes in gory detail how the petty Crowned Concubine Isolde and her accomplice had her slapped, how her beauty was torn from her face, and the injustice of her inevitable death.

Kora is left speechless, simply gawking at Velia with such fury in her eyes I start to feel a little uncomfortable.

"And they let this all happen? The King, the Queen? The Princes? Delphine?" she demands, standing up all of a sudden.

"The Queen had only just found out she was pregnant and Delphine was a mere infant – she could hardly understand the draft system itself," Velia explains, frowning.

Kora shakes her head, sorrow taking over instead of anger. "More reason to hate it here, I suppose,"

"The King had you assigned to Consort Lylah's old room," Velia tells her.

Kora rolls her eyes, "Of course that old man gave me a dead empress' room. He hates me. I'm just a mere human, after all!"

"Oh, but that's the thing, Kora! You're not! You're so brave and kind and wonderful. You're a true inspiration to all magiks creatures," I say quickly, and I mean every word. I wish I could be more like her, if anything.