Chapter Thirty

Kora's POV

It's hard to hear anything above the constant yells that emanate from Synn's chamber. Dahlia's relentless, but she's persistent. God, why didn't I see it coming? Of course Synn had some other girl waiting in the wings for him already. It'd be pretty hard to believe he didn't.

The only question in my mind is... Why? Why would he choose someone like me over Dahlia, who's beauty could measure up to an Angel's? And they're known for their incomparable looks. On the other hand, I don't really want him to choose me either.

Wouldn't it be easier at this point? Being sentenced to life banishment from this dreaded palace? Or even sentenced to death? I can't help but let the thought hover in my mind about how much better things would be for everyone if I was just dead. Perhaps this whole rebellion never would've happened. Perhaps Synn could be happy, with Dahlia, or whatever other gorgeous woman of his choosing instead of being stuck with me. Even Zac would get some peace of mind. Perhaps, if I'd never even been born, my mother would still be alive today?

I shake my head. No, I can't afford to think like that. She died for me, I know she did, and it's hard not to let the guilt of that fact wash over me like a tsunami. But my life is something my mother gave up hers for; I cannot undermine its value.

But I have less than a week left now. Five days until my freedom vanishes before my eyes at the age of twenty-one.

What would Mama say, if she was alive?

Probably nothing, because if she was alive then I wouldn't be here in the first place.

"Kora?" a voice whispers. I turn over in my bed and look over to Azura's, to see her hazel eyes glowing eerily in the dark of the night.

"Go to sleep, Azura,"

"Why are you still awake?"

"Don't worry. You need to get some rest, though, you know. The physician said sleepless nights only worsen your illness, and—"

"For one minute, will you stop treating me like a child?" Azura cries. She's not particularly rude about it, but it still takes me by surprise since it's so unlike her to lash out like that. Still, I try not to show it too much. Azura sighs in exasperation. "I'm sorry, Kora. It's just... This dreaded pexoyusl thing seems to be sucking the life out of me everyday. It's like I'm not a normal person anymore,"

I try to smile reassuringly, but I can't. How do people do it in those stories? Maybe I'm just rubbish at comforting people. "Don't say that, Az. You're still normal,"

"Oh, really? Do normal people get called "darling" and "poor thing" in the corridors at random intervals? I stared at and whispered about everywhere I go. Do normal people get unnervingly complimented by Crowned Concubine Aria, of all people?"

I stare at Azura, unsure of how to reply. Only now I can imagine what she must be going through. Coddled by her enemies, pitied by her colleagues. I guess that's what having a life-threatening disease brings on. But there's something else in her eyes. A hint of spontaneity, of utter resentment, and... Madness. Yes, there's no denying it, she looks undoubtedly upset. I replay the physician's words in my head, squinting at her.

She sighs, whispering something unintelligible under her breath. The only words I can make out are, "here she comes, here she leaves, the red lady..." and I find myself immediately recognising it.

Mama had taught me many nursery rhymes as a little girl, and The Red Lady was one of them. Everyone at school had even sung it on stage for a performance. I used to love that song. It sounds so mysterious, the tune so hauntingly beautiful. I remember all the lyrics, even now.