Chapter Thirty-Four

Kora's POV

The coffin is placed on the podium carefully, two Demons using their magiks to lift and let it go. It's open, showcasing the corpse inside. People begin to whisper amongst themselves.

Most look crestfallen, as expected. But there is a sparkle of contempt in the Queen's glowing eyes. I catch her gaze, holding it with a steely, cold stare, a way of letting her see I know what she's done. She gives me an icy look back, mostly emotionless.

I look away, feeling a cold chill run down my spine as I lock eyes with the corpse in the casket.

Its golden locks are tied to perfection on its head, once bright blue eyes closed shut, almost peacefully. It wears the gleaming azure Noble Regina gown, which flows around it majestically.

The Demons shut the coffin, snapping me out of my trance. It's like they've locked Regina Catania away in another world, out of our reach. She looked peaceful enough, but we all know that's not the case. She died a gruesome, painful death and I'll never forget it.

I'll never forget her.

The High Priest begins to drone on about the Creator and how He took Regina Catania because it was her time, or something along those lines.

I remember what I'd learned in school, when I was a lot younger, about how people in non-magiks eras believed in different Gods and had different ways of worshipping Them. Some didn't believe They were real at all. The only people who know anything about the Creator at all – whether He's real, what He looks like, how many of Him there are – are said to be the Magiks Council.

But these days, nobody but priests speak of the Creator. Nobody's allowed to, in case someone says something wrong. I wonder what'd be considered "wrong" to these people, anyway?

I look around the room, and my eyes land on Crowned Concubine Giulia, who seems to be crying her eyes out. Maybe that witch really does have a heart, even if only for her sister.

"...It was her dedicated time to go, it was her destiny, and as we all know, it was meant to happen, however sad it may be..."

What utter nonsense! Regina Catania didn't have to die like that, and I refuse to believe it was her destiny. I can't accept that 'destinies' are anything but shaped by ourselves and our environment – and the Crimsons shaped hers into something horrifying. When the High Priest finally begins to leave, the King begins to speak.

"Now that our beloved Noble Regina Catania Marino has fallen, I have selected the only woman in the palace who can measure up to her own elegance, her generosity and her beauty."

They're seriously just going to replace her? Already?

I grit my teeth, furious on Catania's behalf. Although, knowing her, she wouldn't've minded. Despite my anger, I'm hoping Marisol has been chosen to bear the Azure Tiara. I imagine her face when the King pronounces her as a Noble Regina, and the image of it lightens my fury to listen to him properly.

"Of course, Regina Catania Marino will never be forgotten. Her father will be coming to the palace a few weeks from now to pay his respects. However, we still need a new Regina to fill out the royal duties, as my Queen will be too overwhelmed..."

He doesn't mention the fact that Regina Anvika also mostly ignores all of her vellums, "Advisor Cassius and I have reached a final conclusion."

I quickly steal a glance at the Queen, who's never liked Marisol; she considers her practically below gentry.

Instead of the sour expression I was expecting, the Queen seems fairly level-headed about the whole situation. I raise an eyebrow.

"I hereby select Crowned Concubine Giulia to be the new Madame, bearer of the Azure Tiara, as approved by the royal advisor and my trusted Queen,"