Chapter Three

Kora's POV

"Now, listen here, child," Queen Alexandria snaps.

She's walked me into this strange room with plain white walls, plain white floor and a simple sleek white desk. Nothing else. You'd think a palace would be more extravagantly decorated, but apparently not this room.

"You must have been chosen for a reason," she tells me, "And I believe I know what this reason is, but you need to listen very carefully as I explain this to you,"

I don't buy it, not for a second. A reason? Really? Or has this black pearl gone loopy? And she shouldn't think for a minute that I forgot that look of utter disdain she just gave me. I bet if it were up to her she'd kick me out of the palace this very moment. Even so, I can't find it in myself to argue for once.

Before Queen Alexandria can continue, I feel a sudden force thrash me against the wall violently. I shriek in terror as I squirm against the hold of the magiks, my eyes closed shut. I struggle, feeling the searing pain of the force pushing down onto me as I hear the Queen gasp, before sighing in exasperation. The strength holds onto my throat tightly, excruciatingly so.

"Your Majesty!" she snaps. The King?

I open my eyes. The King is standing next to the Queen, his eyes a dark purple that is now glowing as his hand is reached out, concentrating on his magiks. He looks terrifyingly furious as he continues to throttle me.

"How did you do it, scum!?" he bellows, "How did a rotten little human like you defy the black pearl?"

I growl as the force strengthens, the feeling of his purple magiks holding on tightly to my throat. "I didn't do a thing! How dare you accuse me? You have no right!"

The King shrieks with laughter, but it's clear he finds none of this amusing. "What did you say, wench? How dare I? Nobody speaks to me like that! I have every right to do whatever the hell I want, you understand? A human like yourself has no place here!"

The Queen gasps, and pushes him. The force weakens to nothing, but as I gingerly place a hand on my neck, it stings. Badly.

"Hush, Your Majesty! The black pearl has chosen..." she turns to me, "What's your name again?"

I narrow my eyes, talking flatly, "Kora Moons."

"Right. The pearl has chosen Ms Kora for a reason. You will not disrespect the Gods in such a manner, no matter how troublesome this outcome is. Now, please return to your ball guests. It's rather quiet in there now," she ushers him out, with him giving a few moany protests. But, soon enough, he is out of the door. I know in that moment that I do not like King Isin. Or even Queen Alexandria, for that matter. One of them is far too upfront, ballsy and shrewd, while the other is passive-aggressive, artificial and passes too many unwanted remarks for my liking.

I sigh. "I didn't... I didn't want to be chosen, you know that, don't you?"

The Queen scowls at me although rather sadly, a knowing look in her eye, "Oh, trust me, Miss Moons. The pearl never chooses the ones who want to be chosen,"

This catches my attention. "Do you mean you never wanted to be King Isin's bride?"

"Well, he wasn't much different when he was younger. Ambition and arrogance had always overridden his good traits. As he grew older, his so-called good traits became more and more buried within him, until they too rotted. Besides, I had no time for romance or balls in those days. I was the High Priest's daughter," she tells me with pride. There is a twinkle of happiness in her eye as she recalls the days when she wasn't chained to this man who now rules her kingdom.