Chapter Thirteen

Synn's POV

Another moan of discomfort escapes Kora's lips, dried blood now embedded on them from biting them so hard out of pain. I frown. It was like she had a nightmare right in front of us.

The pain and anguish in her eyes when she screamed, the most agonising and broken scream I have ever heard. The rush of adrenaline that visibly coursed through her, sending electric shocks of fear through her. I've never seen her so terrified. She lays on the chaise lounge of the bedroom, her face still and unmoving. After her scream, she passed out on the floor.

"Your Highness?" a voice pipes up from behind me.

I growl, "Leave, Koniel."

"But, Your Highness, we've found the reason for Kora's fainting-"

"What was it?" I hiss through gritted teeth.

He gulps uncertainly, "The body of our royal baker was on the floor. He was bleeding into the wood. We've called a healer, they should be able to work out his cause of death, because it most certainly isn't natural."

I shift uncomfortably, brows furrowed.

"We believe... It may have been a crime of, um, hate, Your Majesty, against the dragon bride, as she is..."

"Yes. Thank you." I nod and dismiss him before sighing softly.

"I'm sorry, Kora. I didn't know someone would do this." I whisper to her. She squirms slightly, giving hint she will wake up. Her eyes flitter open, the bright blue of them now glossy from tears.

I blink at her, "Kor-"

"Zac," she mutters, her voice breaking. For a moment, I have no idea what she just said. But as memories of today fill my mind, I remember her talking highly of a boy with the same name. What do I even say to that?

"Sorry to disappoint," I reply a little huffily, "But I'm not Zac."

Her eyes are properly open now, staring at me. "Synn?"

I nod. She begins to get up, despite me telling her not to, and before I can understand what's happening, she wraps her arms around me.

Oh.

She's warm. No, she's boiling, and likely has a fever. But it doesn't matter, because I return the hug and we simply sit there, hugging each other for what seems to be an eternity. And I don't particularly want to pull away. But even so, I do.

"Do you remember what happened to you before you fainted?" I ask her gently. She bites her lip uncertainly, avoiding my eye, before shaking her head.

She's lying. I sigh. What's the point of pressing on it? If she doesn't want to tell me, she doesn't have to. Who knows, maybe she will, someday. But I have to admit, her thinking she has to lie to me about it is sort of agitating.

"Rest. The healer said it's best not to be active for a day at least," I say.

She looks up at me, "But I can't just stay here!"

"Kora..."

"No! I'm not just going to sit here all day while Consort Marisol might need me, or maybe Azura could get lost in the woods like last time, or-"

"Kora."

Kindness. My father always told me empathy was Lucien's greatest downfall, and if I practise it too much it would be mine.

He told me that to be a successful ruler, I need to be stone cold.

He had four main principles, which he called the Golden Rules; no empathy, no hesitation, no mercy, and absolutely no love.