Chapter Thirty-Eight

Synn's POV

The table is silent. I came early from army training to have lunch, and apparently Zac came early too. Kora told me that he's staying here for a while, that it's because of something that happened with his cousins, Dale and Elowen.

Although I'm happy she finally trusts me enough to tell me things, I can't help but feel uncomfortable right now.

He swishes his spoon around and around the soup bowl, looking like he wants to drown in it. He's always walking around the palace like an emotionless robot. I can never read him or his thoughts.

"So," he begins, to my surprise. Never would've taken him for one to start conversations. Besides, I was perfectly happy with silence.

"Uh... You and Kora, huh?"

He looks like he's scolding himself for saying that the minute it leaves his lips.

Well, it is a stupid question. She's the dragon bride. "Guess so."

He bites his lip anxiously before clearing his throat. "Do you really love her?"

I pause, before searching the dining room in case anyone's listening. I turn back to Zac with a shrug, "You seem like you've wanted to ask that for a while,"

"And you haven't answered."

I sigh, dropping the spoon and sitting back in my chair. "Things are... They aren't really that straightforward,"

"They're complicated?"

"Yes,"

"They're only complicated if you say they are," Zac says, and I notice a faint smile in his eyes, "You do, don't you?"

I flinch, "Love is a strong word,"

Zac sighs and shakes his head. "Listen. You care about her. I can tell from one look at your lovelorn face-"

"-I'm not lovelorn!" I snap.

"Sure you aren't," he rolls his eyes, "I'm just saying, Kora's like a candle flame. She flickers here and there, never staying in one mindset. Want her to stay, or spread her fire elsewhere?"

"...Have her stay?"

"Then show it,"

"Why are you encouraging me? Don't you... I don't know, have some... Thing for her?" I remark.

Zac smirks, "I don't feel particularly threatened by you. And these days, I can feel whatever we had is in the past."

I sigh.

"Well, I'm right about what I'd said, aren't I?"

I don't answer. Because, the truth is, he is right. I take a deep breath, push my soup away, and get up.

"Where're you going?"

"To that crazy woman I care about so much," I remark, and set off towards her chamber.

He grins, a glint in his eye I can't make out, before finally saying, "Wanna race there?"

Kora's POV

"Zac?"

"I- Err..."

"How'd you get in?"

He smiles, "You know those guards posted outside this quarter? They remembered me from last time. Didn't even need my pass,"

"They're posting extra guards, huh? Must be because the King is negotiating war," I say.

"What? With who?"