Chapter Sixteen

Kora's POV

"Kora! Kora, wake up, Kora!"

I heard my mother's desperate pleads, I could hear her sobs and yells from outside of our home. Everything felt wrong, from the moment I opened my eyes and saw the tear stains glistening on her cheeks, to the terrible crackling and hissing sounds of fire coming from outside.

"Mama? Que esta pasando?" I squeaked, gulping back my own anxious tears. Mama? What's going on?

"No hay tiempo para explicar, mi estrella," Mama said hurriedly, ushering me out of bed, beginning to lay out clothes for me to change into. Puzzled, I did as she told me despite the gnawing feeling of dread in my stomach that I tried so hard to clench. When you feel something terrible is going to happen. That feeling of anticipation that flows through your veins as you try to tell yourself you're being ridiculous. I was experiencing that exact feeling.

"Come, mi estrella. We have to escape," Mama whispered, gently kissing me on the forehead. Comforted by her soothing touch, I relaxed only slightly.

"Mama? What about Papa? Won't he come too?" I asked, my big blue eyes widened as I looked up to my mother. There was a sudden scream that ripped through the air, followed by a demonic laugh, the terrible sounds of metal clashing with metal. Frozen in fear, I stood there, paralysed.

"Papa is safe, Kora. In the factories. But we are not. We must make haste, the soldiers will surely be spreading out..." Mama was practically whispering to herself by the end of the sentence, biting her lip anxiously as she gazed at the framed photograph of Papa. He held such admiration, respect and love in his eyes. I missed him so much. Only Papa could make Mama feel better at a time like this.

"Come, Kora. We need to leave Mexico immediately,"

And that's when things changed. A sudden explosion, blowing me backward onto the floor, burning pieces of debris flying everywhere as a figure emerged from the flames, laughing maniacally at the explosion. My heart was racing, my eyes searching frantically for Mama.

"Commander Dermic! Look at the jewels in this drawer!" one of the dragon soldiers called out, grinning greedily as he opened Mama's bedside drawer and began to stuff her precious jewels inside of a heavy-looking sack.

"Kora!" I heard Mama's voice calling out to me. Instinctively, I turned to see her reaching out to me, trying to be discreet so as to not alarm the Commander and his men. It was now I realised my arm was bleeding, probably from the impact of the bomb. If Mama saw it, it'd only distract her. She'd be too worried to think straight, I know her. Trying to cover it up, I tiptoed my way over to her, avoiding large chunks of wall strewn across our once-pristine carpet. But I wasn't careful enough. I must have stepped on some sort of twig that the explosion blew into the house, because the next thing I knew there were two bright dragon eyes peering at me, malice glistening in them. They were a bright yellow, the irises drawn to slits, a bloodthirsty twinkle in them. Commander Dermic growled, his red scales glowing, a grimace on his face as he slowly approached me, his prey.

I wake up screaming again, the terror incarcerating me, sweat beads on my forehead and tear stains on my face. I take a deep breath.

When will the nightmares end? Feeling tormented, I get up out of bed. It's morning anyway, although it's earlier than when I usually get up in the palace. Besides, it's not like I'll be able to get much sleep after that. It doesn't take me as long to wash and dress myself, and by the time I'm done, it's still only about seven thirty. I decide to actually utilise the palace library.

It's on the west end of the building and quite a walk, but it's better than being cooped in here.

The morning air is fresh and cool, soothing on my still-burning skin. I don't know what's wrong with me. Perhaps I'm coming down with a fever? I really hope not. There's nothing worse than being bedridden for several hours like the day before.