Chapter Forty-Six

Kora's POV

"You're what?" It feels like my veins will pop out of my forehead any second now. The walls are slowly closing in, encasing just the two of us in this tiny, tiny room. The staff cupboard.

Azura's tears roll down her cheeks, the desperate plead in her voice palpable, the pain in her eyes sparkling.

"Please, Kora... I- I didn't know who else to tell... I don't know what to do. Kora, please, help me! Help me!"

She clings onto me, tightly. I don't know what to do. She's broken. So clearly broken, as if the fragments of what used to be Azura Valus are lying on the floor now, shining beneath the flickering, dark light of the closet.

I want to tell her, "I told you so" but I can't bring myself to do it. That's not what she needs right now. "Have you told Kyros?"

"I... I will. After the choosing ceremony," she whispers. "I don't want to ruin today for you."

I feel so utterly helpless. How could this happen? How could I let this happen? I hug Azura, because there's nothing left to say. There's only so much reaction you can give.

"I'm so sorry, Azura. I promise, I'll- I'll help fix this,"

Azura frowns and shakes her head, "This isn't a simple problem that can be fixed, Kora. I don't think this is fixable at all."

I hear voices from outside, whispering about how the anthem's over and I'm still not on my way towards the podium.

"I have to go, Az. I promise, I'll see you afterwards, OK?"

"Are you going?"

"I am,"

She gives me a hesitant smile before wrapping her arms around me one last time, "Good luck, dragon bride,"

I smile at her, "I won't be the dragon bride for much longer,"

✧༝┉┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉┉༝✧

There he is. He has light brown skin. He has sharp, defined cheekbones. And then there are his eyes. They are purple, but nothing like all the other shades I have seen. These are a beautiful, amethyst violet colour, the kind that glows unlike any other. There's so much emotion in those violet eyes of his, and yet I get the feeling they're hidden behind a mask.

Synn Ametista. Prince Synn. The man who holds my fate in his hands.

I slowly approach the narrow-eyed Lord Meermin. He's in his finest High Priest wear, a dubious look on his face. Without meeting his eye, I focus on Synn, and Synn alone. It's like my eyes are glued to him.

He gives me look of pure gratitude and relief, and for a moment I feel sick at the idea I thought I could leave him. His eyes linger on my moon and nebula pendant for a moment, before closing his eyes and beginning to whisper under his breath, just the way Delphine did when she changed me into this gown yesterday.

My stomach churns like a stormy sea. How will I live with myself if Synn picks up the ruby ring? I won't, most likely.

I wouldn't be alive at all.

But then what would Azura do? She'd be kicked out of the palace within minutes of my execution. What would Zac and his cousins do?

Immediately, my mind flickers back to Azura. She has Kyros, but that's about it. She needs me, especially now that she's...

Now that she's pregnant. Synn would understand that, won't he? And he promised me he'd choose me.

He promised.

I close my eyes. I can't bear it. If the ruby ring begins to glow then I won't just die – I'll die from the inside as well.

Please. Please, Synn, please.

For a moment, everything and everyone is silent. This event is broadcasted live. I wonder if Zac came? Or if he's watching from his chamber? What must it feel like for him?

A loud gasp emanates from the crowd. He's chosen.

I reluctantly open my eyes, avoiding the rings, and find that Synn's eyes are open too.

Before I look down, I stare at him. And I mouth the words I never thought I would say to any dragon, and especially not Synn. Yet here I am.

"I love you," I mouth, and look down before I can catch sight of his reply, slowly, to gaze at what Synn chose.

The ruby ring...

Is perfectly still.

There it lies, sitting stationary on the pillow.

Beside it, the amethyst ring with its little blue crystals hovers, glowing with a more vibrant shine than any shine I've seen radiating off the Sun itself.

The Crown Prince of Ignatia just chose me to be his bride. And, for reasons I can't explain, it seems like I've never felt happier because of it. So much so that I kiss him, directly in front of some of the most important people in the world. But I couldn't care less. Because I'm no longer the dragon bride.

I'm now the dragon prince's princess. And I am completely unprepared for it.