Chapter Forty-Three

Kora's POV

The moon gleams with a shine I've never seen before, an obnoxious glow that seems it will sear through my skull. Every step feels uncertain, like I'm in a dark tunnel with no idea what's on the other side. There's nothing greater I want than to simply disappear into thin air, into an endless mist.

I look out of the window, towards the dungeons. Did I overreact? Did I ruin everything? Or was my anger justified? I close my eyes, the sight of the dungeons becoming unbearable. Tearing my eyes away, I meet with a horrendous sight instead.

A mannequin stands before me, with a dress that looks like it was pulled straight from a farmhouse one hundred years ago, dust included.

It's grey with some purple outlines, blue frills around the hem and the blue and purple Ignatian crest – the dress makes the most disgusting sight. I look to Delphine, who stands next to it, equally horrified.

"I don't have to wear that, do I?" I ask her.

"It's tradition. Every dragon bride before you has worn this dress to the choosing ceremony. That's why it's called the dragon bride gown," Delphine tells me simply, but there's a hint of sympathy in her voice.

"Delphine, those rags have blue frills. Frills! And that too, bright blue ones! And there's a pink petticoat! Who do you think I am, Little Lady Thunderloy?" I ask her.

"Kora, for skies' sake, please just comply for once," Delphine says wearily, but she doesn't seem all that determined this time.

"I'd rather eat my own eyes than look in the mirror and see myself wearing that,"

Delphine groans, "Goodness, you're more stubborn than Xander!"

I smile proudly, just to irritate her. Delphine rolls her eyes at me, so I stick my tongue out at her. She leaves, dragging the horrid mannequin out with her.

And good riddance.

I turn back around to face the window, but this time I stare out at the night sky. It's only evening, but it'll be winter soon so the sun has begun to set early. I shake my head, remembering what Uncle Owen used to tell me about the Elemental sisters.

Gardenia, Nerida, Celosia and Aela. They were the original Elements, and were known for their dedication to their jobs.

Their daughters, on the other hand... Aren't so concentrated. Celosia's daughter, Ember, keeps starting wildfires whenever she feels like it and farmers have complained of the fires swallowing their crops whole.

Aela's daughter, Zephyrine, has been rumoured to have a huge temper, so whenever she gets into a huff she begins to stir up storms, with Marina's help.

Marina is the daughter of Nerida, and she can't even be bothered to make it rain properly, so once again, farmers suffer with their crops and droughts increase.

Blossom – Gardenia's daughter – doesn't even do anything. She shifts the seasons too late, and that's about it. No earthquake warnings, no animal extinctions or adaptions, no newly-discovered plants. Nothing at all.

Even the Elements themselves are corrupt. I wonder if the PRA could become strong enough to replace them? I think of people I know who could.

Elin, perhaps? He's definitely able enough to wield Fire. And maybe Iceni could be the Water Element. But I can't think of anyone else who has what it takes to be Earth and Wind.

I dismiss my thoughts. Suddenly, I hear another knock at my door.

"Go away," I call out. I hear the door creak open. Typical. Turning, I once again meet eyes with Delphine. But this time, she doesn't have that same hideous dress. Now, she has a new one, along with accessories.