017

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:

later that night, scott went to the animal clinic to meet up with derek.

scott unlocked the door for him and he saw that he brought isaac.

"what's he doing here? i don't trust him." scott said.

"yeah, well, he doesn't trust you either." isaac said.

"and derek really doesn't care. now where's the vet? is he going to help us or not?" derek asked.

"that depends. your friend, jackson. are we planning to kill him or save him?" deaton asked.

"kill him." derek said.

"save him." scott said at the same time.

"save him." scott said looking at derek.

derek gave in and scott told deaton they were planning to save him.

deaton brought them into the clinic and he brought out a jar of things.

isaac went to touch something but derek grabbed his hand.

"watch what you touch." derek told him.

"so what are you? some kind of witch?" isaac asked deaton.

"no, i'm a veterinarian. unfortunately, i don't see anything here that's going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin." deaton said.

"we're open to suggestions." derek said.

"what about an effective offense?" isaac asked.

"we already tried. i nearly took its head off. and argent emptied an entire clip into it. the thing just gets back up." derek said.

"has it shown any weaknesses?" deaton asked.

"well, one... it can't swim." derek said.

"does that go for jackson as well?" deaton asked.

"no. he's a captain of the swim team." scott said.

"essentially, you're trying to catch two people. a puppet... and a puppeteer. one killed the husband, but the other had to take care of the wife. do we know why?" deaton asked.

"i don't think jackson could do it. his mother died pregnant too, and she was maybe murdered. i think he couldn't let the same thing happen to someone else." scott said.

"how do you know it's not part of the rules? the kanima kills murderers. if jacksons kills the wife, then the baby dies too." isaac said.

"does that mean your father was a murderer?" scott asked.

"wouldn't surprise me if he was." isaac replied.

"hold on. the book says they're bonded, right?" deaton asked as derek nodded.