Chapter I - Not a Nerd?

Beam's POV

"So now here we have a first order differential equation and there we have a second order differential equation each describing what happens to this object when a constant force F pushes against it so here this describes the situation where you can calculate the velocity..."

"...haaahhhh..." I sigh.

"Beam!"

"Hm?"

"Stop it!"

"Huh? What should I stop? I didn't do anything." I look at my fellow student and best friend Kit with big questioning eyes.

"Stop with this 'I'm bored to death' facial expression. I know this course is so not challenging you, but do you have to show your boredom and superiority so obviously?" Kit answers in a hushed but teasing tone.

"But..." I raise my voice to contradict him, but I'm interrupted by the nasal and extremely unpleasant voice of my professor "Mr. Vongviphan, Mr. Intochar! May I remind you that this is not a coffee party but an extremely important lecture which you are currently disturbing in a very annoying way?"

"...We are awfully sorry, Professor Kisin. Please apologize our misbehavior. It won't happen again. We politely ask you to continue with the lecture, because we could never forgive ourselves if we missed this golden opportunity to listen to your explanations." Kit and I almost slip on our own slime track as we apologize to Professor Kirin for our improper behavior. However, this type of professor can only be soothed in this way – the students have to eat humble pie and the professor feels almighty and can show mercy.
The professor gives us a stern look, but then nods and continues with his explanations.

Kit glares at me and hisses, "It's your fault if I'm on his blacklist now!"

What the fuck!
I can barely hold back my not so friendly response and to prevent worse, I turn my attention to the explanations of Professor Kirin. Thankfully, he ends the lecture after boring 20 minutes and Kit and I rush out of the lecture hall to find something eatable to fill our hungry stomachs.

...

...

...

While I'm happily chewing my sandwich and watching the other students in the cafeteria, Kit asks me if I already know what kind of project I will choose for Professor Kirin's term paper.

"Uh, honestly I haven't thought about it yet."

"What? My petite wunderkind doesn't have a project for his term paper? Are you kidding?" Kit looks at me in surprise.

"Wunderkind, my ass" I answer grumpily. Okay, I admit it. Although I just turned 18 two months ago, I already study mathematics and physics in the fourth semester at one of the best universities in our country. So, of course, you could say that I have a certain talent for numbers and formulas. But I don't think that I am a child prodigy, especially not a small one!!! Beam Baramee Vongviphan is a totally normal 18-year-old guy and definitely not a nerd. I mean, everyone has a favorite mathematical formula and can calculate the Euler-Poisson integral while sleeping...right?

"Oh, come on! Stop pouting. I'm just really surprised. Usually, you are the one who presents a detailed essay to the lecturers within 24 hours of becoming aware of the planned term paper. We already have known about the assignment for three weeks and you have to submit your essay this Friday!" Kit remains persistent.

"Thank god, I have two more days to think about it!" With these words and a smirk, I gather my things and struck off to the next lecture 'Linear Algebra and Differential Equations' – my favorite course this semester.

- - - - - - TBC- - - - - -

What do you think of the first chapter? Should I continue or kiss this ff goodbye?