There's No Way to Live

✧ Chapter 9 ✧
[ There's No Way to Live ]
✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

Shuichi sat in class, his thoughts battling against each other as his classmates solved questions on the whiteboard.

He could faintly hear Korekiyo laughing as Himiko tried to cast some 'confusion spells' on the other students, and Angie challenging Ryoma to a drawing contest.

Should he? Or should he not?

Falling in love with someone..

He heard a scream from Tsumugi, who was running away from Gonta. Something about a bug, of course.

Anyway, falling in love was.. as dangerous as sticking your hand in a blender.

Shuichi smiled faintly at the memory. But then frowned. No, it has been one and a half years already.. how could he keep thinking about Kaito after so much time has passed?

Because..

Shuichi clenched his fist, crumpling a piece of paper in his hand and creasing it. He didn't want to admit it. He was too embarrassed..

Falling in love with a girl was one thing Shuichi could understand. But falling in love with a guy was a whole different story.

People here accepted the cases where girls falls in love with guys, and vice versa. But others think it's strange when two people of the same gender fall in love with each other.

This was how twisted their society is. Some people couldn't accept change. They just mindlessly followed others, just to not cause a scene. Because those who dared to protest for a change, were shut down almost immediately.

And living here on Dangan Island was ten times worse, where the government killed others just for falling in love.

Shuichi sighed, leaning against his chair and closing his eyes.

However, his eyes shot open the moment he heard a loud slam. He came face to face with Kokichi, who was grinning at him. "Hiya Saihara-chan."

Shuichi scowled, "Go away, Ouma. Can't you take the hint?"

"Nope," the other boy smirked and sat on his desk, "Anyway, its time for round three. You still haven't beat me, after all. We have to keep doing this forever till you win."

"I know the rules.." Shuichi mumbled, looking down at his math paper and crumpling it up.

He didn't know why was he being so.. angry. He was just angry with everyone and everything. And Kokichi wasn't helping at all.

"So.. let's play a card game. And it's based on luck." Kokichi held up a deck of cards. "Whoever manages to get a joker, wins."

Shuichi stared at Ouma's unmoving purple eyes. "And should I trust that you actually have the joker card in there?" he asked.

"Oh," Kokichi laughed, leaning away, "You got me, Saihara-chan. You're actually learning!" he reached into his pocket and held out a card with his fingers. "Here's the joker."

"You're the joker, you idiot." Shuichi muttered, the words accidentally slipping out.

Kokichi raised both eyebrows, "Duh, I'm the joker. Now, ready to begin?" he smiled, placing both hands on either side of the table and leaning forward. Shuichi took a deep breath, realising that he was merely inches away from the other boy's face.

"Y-Yeah.." Shuichi leaned away, feeling his face become a little warm. He didn't know why when Kokichi had leaned forward, he had a sudden urge to just reach over..