In the Heart of the Patient

✧ Chapter 37 ✧
[ In the Heart of the Patient ]
✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

The purple haired teenager slid his headphones on, pressing 'play' and falling back on his bed. As Kokichi lay against his pillow, he stared at the lights flitting in through the windows of their dorm room.

Keebo was fast asleep on his own bed, his left arm hanging off and the other holding what seemed to be a photograph. But from this angle, Ouma couldn't see who was in the picture. Perhaps it was a photograph of his family?

Sighing, he touched his own throat, feeling the peeling skin and the sting of pain. Whoever this traitor was... they definitely weren't working alone. Kokichi continued to stare at the ceiling, his mind drifting to different topics and finally settling on an old memory.

He closed his eyes, remembering he first time he met Saihara.

✧༺♥༻∞  ∞༺♥༻✧

[ Eight Years Ago ]

Kokichi ran down the street, carrying a small black and white puppy in his arms while getting chased by an adult.

He pushed past a couple, who were laughing and holding hands. He didn't give them a second glance, since he always witnessed such a thing. Couples. People in love.

Eight years ago...

Love was legal-

He skidded to an alleyway, backing against the grimy bricked wall. "Shhh.." he whispered to the dog, who was whining softly.

"Come here, you brat. Where did you go?" the man snapped, looking around while holding out a rusty metal pole. "Give me back the stupid mutt and we'll call it even."

In his arms, the ragged puppy huddled closer to Kokichi's chest. Ouma stroked the animal's matted fur, calming it down as the man's shadow appeared on the walls. He glared at the shadow, waiting to spring out of the alleyway and maybe kick that stupid man where it hurts.

Damnit, how did he get himself in such a situation? All he had done was come across a man beating up a stray dog. True, he might've possibly called the man some names. And probably tripped him and taunted him with threats.

"Hey you!" Kokichi flinched when he heard the man call for someone, but obviously not him. From where Kokichi was standing in the shadow of a building, he could see a blue haired boy wearing a cap, looking up at the adult. "Have you seen a purple haired brat run past? He's carrying a scraggly animal as well."

"..." the boy looked around, suddenly making eye contact with Kokichi. The two regarded each other for a moment, the boy's eyes darting down to look at the small dog.

"Funny you should mention it," the boy turned away from Kokichi and pointed across the street, "There's someone who you described, running down that way."

"What's he wearin', kid? I don't trust you, since you might be lyin'." the man spat, making Shuichi stare up at him with serious eyes.

"Grey shirt. Black pants. Messy purple hair, am I right? The dog was black and white." he replied simply.

The man ran off without a thanks, making Kokichi heave a sigh. Lies could save you. He learnt that a long time ago, but now his encounter with that blue haired boy reinforced his belief.

"Hey."

Kokichi looked up from the dog, to see the blue haired boy watching him with a curious expression. "Why were you running away from him?" he asked.