Chapter 24: Another Year Ends

That next day, Dumbledore ordered everyone to gather in the Great Hall for a memorial service for Cedric. Meg was reticent to go to the service because she didn't want people asking her about what had happened at the last bit of the third task, and she didn't want to cry her eyes out around other people. However, she knew that Draco wouldn't let either of those things happen to her. Luckily, she woke up before other people came into the Slytherin common room so she could leave undetected. Draco also woke up about the same time as she did, so he walked her back to the Ravenclaw dorm and reassured her again. "I'll meet you outside the door to the Great Hall so we can sit together. Does that work?" Meg nodded and Draco embraced her whole heartedly. After breaking the hug, Meg went through the portrait that was the entrance to the dorm and started to tear up again.

After a few hours had passed, Meg soon enough got up the courage to go to the Great Hall to meet Draco for the memorial service. Once she got to the entrance, she passed Harry, Ron, and Hermione. All three of them knew what had happened and what she saw, but that didn't change their friendship. If anything, it made their friendship stronger. All three hugged her and asked her to sit with them, but Meg explained that Draco had already offered to sit with her. Hermione and Ron understood, but Harry didn't. His heart felt as if it had been broken more than before. A few moments later, Draco came to the entrance to meet Meg, but Meg noticed he was alone. This was kind of a first for her to see him without his entourage. She didn't complain, but still was a little befuddled. He embraced her and walked her to a seat somewhat close to her friends and she gripped his robes with the same grip she used the previous night. Draco didn't mind, so he wrapped his arm around her to make her feel safer, and they both watched Dumbledore solemnly walk to his chair at the front of the Great Hall. 

After a few moments of silence in the hall, Dumbledore began his eulogy. "Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce, fierce friend. Now I think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The Ministry of Magic wishes that I not tell you this, but by not doing so would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel of this dreadful reminds me, and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events,  The bonds of friendship we've made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that, Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain. You remember that. We'll celebrate a boy who was, kind and honest and brave and true, right to the very end." Once Dumbledore finished his speech, he dismissed everyone to go back to their dorms to prepare for the journey home. As Meg was getting up from her seat, Draco embraced her in one last hug to remind her that he will always be there for her. Meg took this message to heart, but the flood-gates were opened and she had been crying a river taking in that message. 

As several hours passed, Meg was finally ready to get home and see her family again. As soon as her stuff was loaded on the train, Draco caught up to her and gave her a note. "Meg, don't forget to write." She responded, "I never forget anything." She took the note from his hand and hugged him tightly for a good two minutes. Once they broke the hug, Draco got on the train, and Meg waited for her friends. Once all four were reunited, Hermione was the first to speak. "Everything's going to change now isn't it?" Harry was the first to respond to her. "Yes." Hermione then continued talking to Harry and Ron. "Promise you'll write this summer. Both of you." Ron replied, "I won't. You know I won't." Meg laughed and Hermione turned to Harry. "Harry will won't you?" Harry laughed as well and said, "Yeah, every week." Meg then made the comment, "Besides, 'Mione's got a boyfriend to keep up with." Hermione jokingly punched Meg in the arm and replied to her, "Says the girl who's boyfriend told her to 'not to forget to write'." Meg laughed and brushed it off. The Fantastic Four then loaded the train to go home and reminisced over the great things that had happened that year.