Chapter 32: The Aftermath

The next day around 3pm, Meg woke up in Hermione's bed. She got up to look at the emotional wreck she was as of last night, and her eyes were bloodshot, her skin was paler than it normally was, and her head was pounding from all of the crying. Not too long after gazing at her hot mess self in the mirror, Hermione came in the door from the common room. "How are you feeling?" Meg hesitated. "I'm okay. I take it you heard last night." Hermione replied, "The whole dorm did. It was just the four of us in the dorm when you and Draco came in, but I got several notes this morning from Gryffindors saying that they didn't want to interrupt your argument and that they were going to keep last night to themselves out of respect for you. Plus, Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick know that you and I skipped classes today. I wanted to make sure you weren't going to have another meltdown." "Thanks, 'Mione. What time did I fall asleep?" "Harry moved you to my bed about 3:45 last night, so you've slept around twelve hours." Meg couldn't believe her ears. Harry, Ron, and Ginny were operating on 3-4 hours of sleep because of her and Draco. After a bit of silence, Hermione asked Meg the burning question of the hour. "Why did you come to our dorm instead of yours?" Meg hesitated again. "Because it was closer, and I knew that you all would support me more than the people in my dorm. Plus it was closer." Hermione hugged Meg. She hated to see Meg in this state; she knew Draco was trying to be genuine and that he really didn't know why he did what he did, and that he was generally sorry. Hermione broke the hug. "Professor Flitwick wants to see you sometime today when you're good enough to go outside." Meg knew why he wanted to see her, but she'd feared the worst anyway.

About an hour later, Meg headed towards Flitwick's office to see what he wanted to say to her. When she opened the door, he was surprisingly happy to see her. "Meg, welcome! Please sit." He gestured to a chair in front of his desk. Meg sat down, but she was still suspicious. She knew he knew about last night, but that didn't take her mind off of the worst. "How are you?" He began. "I'm alright." "Any better from last night?" Meg shook her head; he continued. "Let me just tell you, after Hermione came and talked to me and McGonagall about last night, I was furious. I had seen the chemistry between you and Draco and it made me sick to hear about what he did to you. However, that is not the reason I have called you into my office." Meg was somewhat relieved to not have to talk about the events of last night. Flitwick continued, "Is it true that you shouted at Umbridge?" Meg replied with an obvious, "Yes." "You called her a liar?" "Yes." You told her He Who Must Not Be Named is back?" "Yes." "Have a biscuit, Megara." Meg snickered to herself and took one of the biscuits on his desk; Flitwick continued the discussion. "Let me tell you some good news, Meg. All of the professors, including Snape and Dumbledore, love what you and your friends are doing to Umbridge." Meg couldn't help but smile at his news. "I love the crazy ideas you have for messing with her. Do you know what the next move is going to be?" At this question, Meg stared off into space. She hadn't really thought of a further plan, at least since she and Draco broke up. "I sort of roll with it. Once an idea comes into my head, I execute it. I never ask questions until after I've done it." Flitwick laughed and dismissed her.

On her way back to the Gryffindor dormitory to tell Hermione the news, she was stopped by Blaise Zabbini. "Meg, I have to talk to you." "If it's to tell me that Draco and Pansy are official and having sex every other night, I don't want to hear it, Blaise!" She shoved passed him and kept walking, but he stopped her again. "No, I've come to tell you that you were right all along. Both Draco and Pansy were hexed into hooking up with each other. After Draco left his dorm to lead you to breakfast, I snooped and found this..." He gave her Draco's Inquisitorial Squad badge. "What the hell am I supposed to do with this?" Blaise explained, "I ran some tests on it and you were right. Umbridge did hex them both with an Unforgivable Curse...the Imperious Curse." Meg's eyes widened. Draco was really sorry when she and him fought for 5 hours last night. Blaise broke the momentary silence. "I'm going to give this back to him so Umbridge won't be suspicious, but I will keep a very close eye on both of them. In the meantime, don't act just yet. If we play our cards right, we can expose her and drive her away from the school at the same time." Meg liked his plan, but the problem she had with it was that there was a very high possibility that it could backfire. She nodded and hugged Blaise thanking him for what he did for her. When they broke the hug and headed separate ways, Meg, instead, headed for her own dormitory instead of the Gryffindor dormitory. She would debrief Hermione in the morning; then it hit her. The next day marked the Gryffindor vs. Slytherin Quidditch match. She had made up her mind not to interact with Draco just in case something crazy would happen. As she headed back to her dormitory, she began to sing to herself.