Chapter 1: The Vacation

It was the summer before their third year at Hogwarts. So, Meg, Hermione, and Ron and his family decided to go on vacation. Ron and his family decided to go to Egypt to visit his oldest brother Bill. Meg, Hermione, and their parents decided to go to Paris, France. "I've actually never been to Paris," Hermione mentioned. "I don't remember much about it. It's been 5 years since I've been back there," Meg told Hermione solemnly. "I wonder if we'll go to your father's opera house," Hermione suggested. Meg replied, "That"s up to our parents. After all, they're the ones planning this trip." The two girls decided to write to their two friends about their plans for the summer. They had written to both Ron and Harry about their vacation plans. Ron replied to them telling them about his plan to go to Egypt. However, Harry didn't have vacation plans. The Dursley's never did anything spontaneous. They were too obsessed with being normal. Meg and Hermione both pitied Harry. They knew he was always being mistreated by his aunt and uncle. Sadly, they couldn't take him with them on the trip. That night, as Hermione and Meg went to bed, they couldn't stop thinking about the next day. However, Meg was a little anxious about the coming trip. She'd hoped she'd never see Paris again. At least not for a while.

The next morning, the Grangers and the McCowns flew to Paris, France for their vacation. Hermione was overjoyed, but Meg was a little reluctant at first. She had very few happy memories of Paris. The only cheerful memories she had were of the good times she had with her father. However, she was excited to spend some time with her best friend. As they flew to Paris, Hermione wouldn't stop talking about what they would do once they arrived. Meg listened, but in the back of her mind, she kept hoping Paris wouldn't be as dark as she remembered.

Once they arrived, the two families headed to their hotel where they would be staying. As they headed through the city, Meg saw many familiar sights. The orphanage she'd lived in for a year after her father died, the garden she went to to try to communicate with her father, but most important of all, her father's opera house where she was born. It had changed since the last time she'd seen it. It looked more broken and crumbling since the fire. She knew Hermione and her parents wouldn't want to go see it and learn more. But the odds of them wanting to learn more about their friend were a lot higher.

As soon as they arrived at their hotel, the two families began to settle in their rooms. Meg and her parents had their own room. As did Hermione and her parents. As Meg began to unpack her suitcase, she began to think about showing everyone where she spent most of her life. "Mom, Dad," Meg began. "Do you think we should show Hermione and her family the places where I grew up?" Barry and Wendy looked concerned. "Only if you want to," Wendy replied. "We weren't going to pressure you. We know you have mixed feelings about this trip and being back here. We had hoped if we could show you the happier parts of Paris, so your perspective would change." Meg thought about this for a second. She had figured that Hermione only wanted to go on this trip because of the essay Professor Binns had assigned them for their summer homework. She answered her parents, "We have to write an essay for a class at Hogwarts, and it's over a powerful wizard in history. I was thinking about writing about my biological father. Do you think Hermione would do the same thing if I told her about my father?" Meg's parents looked confused. Of course they were supportive of their daughter, but when it came to her biological father and her past, they become a little worried. Wendy broke the silence, "If you want to tell her about your past, Meg, that's okay with me. We will support you all the way."

The next morning, Hermione bolted out of bed and rushed to get ready for the coming adventures in Paris. Meg was almost the complete opposite of her best friend. She had been up almost all night thinking about whether or not to share her complete past with friend and her family. She sat in her bed for about 15 minutes contemplating her decision. When she came to a conclusion, she said to herself, "Hermione is my best friend. She knows a little about where I came from. Besides, she'll still be my best friend. If she hasn't run away screaming yet, I don't think she ever will." With these better thoughts in her mind, Meg got out of bed began to get ready for the day.

Later that morning, both the Grangers and the McCowns headed downstairs for breakfast. Meg hadn't told her parents about her plans to share her past with her best friend. As the two families began to eat breakfast, they discussed their plans for the coming day. Mrs. Granger began, "What are you all thinking you would want to do first on our vacation?" Wendy McCown answered her friend, "Maybe we could do some touring around the city." Mrs. Granger replied, "That's a wonderful idea, Wendy." Before she could say another word about the plans, Meg interrupted her, "Actually, I had a different idea." Everyone turned to Meg. "What's your idea, dear," Mrs. Granger questioned her daughter's friend? Meg paused. She was going to share her past with her friend and her family. "I thought I would show you all where I spent seven years of my life." Barry and Wendy looked at each other and smiled. Wendy knew Meg would want to share her past with her friend. After breakfast, the two families rented a cab to go find Meg's father's opera house. Meg was very nervous about the trip. She knew Hermione would enjoy learning more about her best friend. She was worried about what Hermione's parents would think.

When they arrived at the opera house, it wasn't what Meg had expected after her father's death five years ago. She had thought the city would have remodeled it and made it popular again knowing the Phantom of the Opera was dead. But instead, it looked like it was going to crumble at any moment. There was police tape everywhere. Meg didn't know what to think of this. Mrs. Granger made the observation, "What a lovely place." Meg knew she was being sarcastic. She led them into the Fourier of the opera house. It was dusty, but it was like she remembered. "This is the entrance to the opera house," Meg began. She led them to her mother's old dressing room. "This used to be my mother's dressing room when she performed here. She actually came to live at the opera house when she was in ballet school. That was after her father died. My father had told me stories about my mother's performances. He spoke highly of her angelic voice." Mr. and Mrs. Granger looked at each other in both confusion and fear. Meg opened her mother's full length mirror to reveal the entrance to her father's lair. Everyone's jaws dropped. Including Meg's parents. Meg smiled and led everyone down through the sewer into the main area of her father's lair. Once they arrived to the lake that led to the gate, Hermione couldn't contain herself. They all climbed into the boat. Meg led them to the main part of the lair. Once they got through the gate, the candles her father had began to rise out of the water and light themselves. Hermione's eyes looked like they were about to pop out of their sockets. Everyone else were in total shock. Meg grinned. She knew they would be impressed. However, she also feared of their reaction when she told them what her father did when he was alive.

As Meg led the boat to the front of the lair by the enormous organ her father had and parked it there. Once everyone got out of the boat, Meg began to tell her friends and family about her father and her past. Hermione wrote every detail down on a piece of parchment she carried with her. As Meg described every detail about her past and every detail about her father, both Hermione's parents and her own were in awe at not only the lair, but the stories Meg told. Both Barry and Wendy were very proud of their daughter.

They're next stop was the orphanage Meg had spent a year at. Meg was very reticent about going in there. She had a horrible experience there and she never wanted to go back. Barry and Wendy took notice of this and led the Grangers to a cafe near by and told them about the day they had adopted Meg.

Once the two families arrived back at the hotel they were staying at, Hermione and Meg began to write their report for Mr. Binns' class, History of Magic. While they were doing their report, both of their parents were discussing their tour of Meg's past. Mrs. Granger was the first to make an observation, "That was a very interesting journey. I had no idea Meg had went through so much action in the early years of her life." Wendy replied, "Yeah. She had endured a lot when we adopted her." "At least she is doing well now, and is in a better place," Mrs. Granger pointed out. Barry added, "She has come a long way in the past five years." That night, as Meg and her family went to bed for the night, Barry and Wendy told Meg they were proud of her. Meg went right to sleep. She dreamed about what the rest of their vacation was going to hold.