Zach and Denzel: Advice

(It's time to introduce another BGZ! Because Zach's other friends aren't always the most helpful... :p)

DENZEL: the zombie with Zach who spits out dust at the start of My Year, also seen with Zed, Zach, Zane and Chaz in the first chorus of BAMM

__________________________________________

He needed to talk to someone about Diaz.

Someone besides Alonzo. Or Roz. Or Zephyr. Because, although he loved them, he couldn't help feeling discouraged by how easy it had been for them to find relationships. Especially when Al and Zeph were always just... like that.

Rizzo was usually the one to go to for advice, but it probably didn't make much sense to ask the aromantic how he could be sure if he was seriously romantically attracted to someone. There was a similar reason to not go to Zane – he was asexual – plus he'd most likely go down the psychological route and end up completely losing him. He may act like he understood that stuff but honestly, he didn't have a clue. And Chaz was still too busy trying to grasp the mere concept of being in a relationship now that he had a girlfriend (Chaz! Chaz Bucket had a girlfriend...!) to be of any use.

Luckily, Zach knew where to turn: Denzel.

Denzel would be honest with him. He wouldn't try and steer the conversation in one way or the other or insist he knew better or let any personal opinions get in the way. He'd just give Zach the facts as he saw them, and some unbiased advice, and help him get his thoughts straight. Even if nothing else about the situation was straight.

He ended up talking to him outside the school one morning, a few minutes before the bell. If Diaz had already arrived, they didn't see him. He must have either been inside already, or still walking through Zombie Town.

Denzel sat before him with his hands clasped together. By now, he already had some idea of the situation and was ready to help, "OK. Here's what I want you to do," Zach leaned forward, ready, "Talk about him," then quirked a confused eyebrow at Denzel's words, looking for an explanation, "Sit there, empty your mind of everything but Diaz and just tell me whatever you think of. If this is any different to your usual... infatuations, there'll be something deeper to it."

That made sense. In a way. It could work. Zach sighed and tipped his head back, quiet for a moment, "... He is really cute..."

"Something besides that. You think everyone is cute. Give yourself a minute to think. Really think."

He did, and soon the thoughts for flowing.

"He comes off so confident and cool, like he doesn't care about anything. Like everything just falls into place for him..." Zach sat up, "But I feel like there's gotta be something else going on with him, y'know?"

Now, this sounded interesting. Denzel cocked his head, "No, I don't know. But for one thing, that sounds a lot like you. You act so full of yourself but there's a lot going on under the surface. You feeling some kinda connection with him?"

"Yeah..." Zach nodded, suddenly catching on, "Yeah, I guess I am. Like... like I could understand him."

"And yet you're still not going for it. You're feeling this pull towards him but you don't act on it."

"I'm..." Zach faltered. This was where he was getting stuck. This was where thinking about Diaz started making him feel fuzzy and confused. He shook his head, "I don't..." then he threw up his arms in exasperation, "I don't know how to explain it, man. What if..." This was what he was scared of, "What if he turns me down? Everybody else does and if he's the same, I'll never get to know him like that. I'll never get to know what makes him tick."

Denzel seemed to be considering what Zach was saying. Neither of them spoke straight away.

"When anybody else turns you down, you don't dwell on it. You wallow in self-pity for maybe an hour, tops, cry to Roz about it in that time, then look for your next victim. You saying you don't want to risk moving on from him?"

"I-I guess?"

"There's your answer."