Alonzo: Dog - Part 2

(Part 2~!)

_______________________________

Lindzey had just arrived for her usual weekend visit at her mom and brother's house when she made an announcement.

"Guess what?" she was bouncing on her heels while Alonzo was eating breakfast, not really paying too much attention, "Dad said I could get a dog!"

Al immediately choked.

"He what?!"

Hazel closed her eyes and took a breath, bringing a hand to her temple. She should have expected something like this from her ex-husband. But what could she say in front of Lindzey? And with Alonzo looking at her like that...

Once he'd actually swallowed his food he stared at his little sister in shock for a few seconds, then turned to their mom with his jaw still hanging open. He turned back when Lindzey started talking again. She was too happy to notice anything wrong.

"He got a promotion 'cause they're giving zombies more job opportunities and he said we'll be able afford a pet soon!"

That may well have been the case, but both Alonzo and Hazel had a sneaking suspicion he was also doing this at least partly just to spite the two of them. Al looked at Hazel, gesturing wildly towards Lindzey, who was visibly confused.

"She's getting a dog!" he spluttered, "Dad actually agreed to get a dog! This is so not fair! Mom, can't you get a promotion or something?"

"It's not as easy as that, Al," Hazel sighed, "Most of the higher positions need qualifications that I just don't have, and the pay isn't all that much better for anything I could get," she reached out to stroke his hair when he looked down and pouted, "I'm sorry, sweetheart, but your sister having a dog is the next best thing, right?"

Al glanced at Lindzey, who shrugged, "You can come visit," she suggested. He snorted.

"And willingly go into Dad's house? I don't think so. You're bringing it here."

"Don't exaggerate, Al," Hazel said, "You can put up with being in the same house as him, as long as you're not getting in each other's way, and neither of you say anything. And I'm sure you can go over when he's not home. Like if you were babysitting Lin, for example."

"I don't need a babysitter...!"

"I'll babysit the dog, then," Al gave Lindzey a smug smile, "But you're gonna bring it over here, too," he noticed Hazel raise an eyebrow, "... Can she...?" he asked, almost pleading.

"Maybe. We'll see when they actually get the dog."

– LIMELIGHT –

It was about two weeks later when Lindzey's dog came home, who Alonzo was incredibly anxious to meet. Anxious enough that he was actually going to go over to his dad's house. That's how desperate he was to see this dog that he knew pretty much nothing about. He was even hanging around outside before they got home from the animal shelter in Seabrook.

His mom had been right about seeing more animals around town. It had been almost three months since the ban had been lifted and he had spotted a couple of other dogs and cats roaming the streets, including Bonzo's cat who he was keeping hidden from his parents, and he'd heard from some of the others about rodents and birds and fish. But he had his heart set on a dog. If he wasn't going to get one himself, he'd happily 'borrow' his little sister's.

He perked up the second he saw them down the street. Lindzey was a fair distance ahead of their dad, being half dragged along by the German shepherd puppy she had on a leash and obviously enjoying herself. Alonzo still might not have known a single thing about the dog yet, but he already loved it. It only took a few more seconds for them to reach him and he crouched down with his arms wide open to welcome the furry ball of energy, Lindzey coming to a stop beside him, a little out of breath but laughing. Once Al was satisfied with the petting and licks and baby-talking, he looked at her.

"Alright, Lin, start talking," he was grinning as he scratched the dog's head, "Give me the details."

She stepped forward to wrap her arms around the dog's neck and press her face into its fur for a second first, "His name's Zipper. His old owners took him to the shelter 'cause he was, like, the runt of the litter and he wasn't 'perfect' enough."

Al pouted and turned Zipper to face him, "You are perfect."

At that moment, their dad finally caught up with Lindzey. He was carrying a few supplies that they evidently hadn't already bought yet and gave Alonzo a look of indifference. Al ignored him.

Instead of greeting his son, he just asked, "Are you coming in?"

Al's smile dropped for a split second as he looked up with a short nod, "Yeah," but his usual happy attitude returned when Zipper licked his face. He stood up and followed Lindzey inside.

The siblings spent roughly an hour talking about, playing with and trying to train Zipper, with minimal input from their dad (while Alonzo was there, at least).

When Al eventually got back home, Hazel was surprised by how long he'd managed to stay there without being nearly as annoyed or drained as he normally would be. When she commented in it, he shrugged.

"Having a dog there actually made it bearable."