Zeke and Hazen: Priorities

(I finished this a couple days ago but forgot to post it...! These two never actually appear together onscreen, I paired them up as friends because the personalities I gave them just ended up working well together. This one-shot is also set after the BtB one-shot To Keep You Safe

Part 1 of the Big Project will be uploaded either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how much time I have to write today~)

ZEKE: the zombie in red amongst the acrobats (i.e. not regular dancers) in My Year, BAMM and Fired Up Competition
HAZEN: the zombie boy with short, dark hair who walks past Zed and the others when they see the NO ZOMBIES graffiti
_________________________________________________

"All I'm saying is look out for yourself, too, every once in a while," Hazen rambled as he and Zeke made their way through Zombie Town and towards Seabrook, "Not that I don't appreciate you looking out for me, bu-"

Zeke held up a hand, the slightest hint of a smile visible on his face, "Don't sweat it, Hazen, it's not that big a deal."

"You were in containment for a night. And you've never been kept in containment!"

"Neither has Zadie, or Ozzy," Zeke brushed it off, "Besides, if they didn't take me, they'd have taken someone else, and that could've been you."

"See, this is what I'm getting at here, why am I always the priority? If I do need you to defend me at any time, you can't do it if the patrol has you locked up! Or what if someone else was in more trouble than me?"

Despite Hazen's genuine concern over this, Zeke could only chuckle, "What are you, my mom?"

"I'm serious."

"So am I," but he had to give up when he saw Hazen's stern glare, "OK, so I'm a little overprotective of my friends, and you're my best friend. Can you blame me? You never had much luck around humans before and now with the way things are changing, I might possibly be a little on edge."

"Might?"

Zeke nodded.

"Possibly?"

He glanced down at Hazen but quickly averted his eyes to avoid the glare again.

"A little?"

"What is the problem? You're safe, I'm safe, everyone's safe. It was one night, let it go!"

Hazen could only shake his head.

They soon reached the gate and the humans' side of town where other students, human and zombie alike, were already congregating. Things really were changing, almost every little group of people had a fairly even split of humans and zombies. Hazen slowed down when he spotted a select few humans who still seemed to be keeping their distance – all of them cheerleaders. Zeke noticed and stopped beside him, glancing over at the group then back at his friend's nervous expression. Hazen gulped, trying to keep it subtle, but then caught sight of the way Zeke was narrowing his eyes. He was quick to respond.

"I'm getting better with this, you know? You don't have to worry about me all the time."

"Are you, though?" Zeke didn't budge, "Are they?"

"Just..." Hazen sighed, "Take it easy, alright? Come on, do you think beating half of the squad to a pulp is gonna help anything?"

Zeke waved a dismissive hand at the offending humans and turned away.

"I'm not gonna do anything to 'em, Haze," he said, turning towards the door, "So long as they stay in line..."

Hazen followed him, looking back at the cheerleaders for a moment. They weren't even trying to hide their disgust at the zombie students. He went to catch up with Zeke.

"You can't say things like that and expect me to not be concerned. I am begging you here, don't do anything that'll make them call the patrol on you."

Zeke didn't answer.