Chapter 44

"ZENO-SAMA!"

Ryun found himself stumbling on a few small rocks as he scrambled his way to the blond. The blood, the blood, the blood, don't bleed out I'm begging you! Deep inside, Ryun knew that Zeno wouldn't die but even so, what he had gone through all those centuries ago... he couldn't forget that.

"Zeno-sama! Zeno-sama!"

(The orange-haired teen knelt down beside the blond, his entire body shaking as the color red filled his eyes. This shade of red... this iron scent... blood... blood... it's blood... it's Zeno-sama's blood all over again...)

It was like a bucket of ice-cold water drowned her and muted everything. Yoru, for all the knowledge she knew about Ouryuu, could not hold back the absolute hatred that filled her up. Her vision turned black for a second before it was filled with hot orange.

Her eyes glowed in her fury, the wind becoming erratic and restless around her. Deep within her anger, grief and horror enveloped her heart as she fixed her gaze on Zeno's unmoving body. He's alive... that much I know. However, seeing him of all people, lifeless and bloody on the battleground... it's a sight so disgusting...

For some reason, she didn't like the thought of having Zeno out on the battlefield. It... didn't suit him. The battlefield was not for someone like Zeno who was too kind... 

...

"M-MONSTER!"

One of the many soldiers yelled when an orange blur practically flew towards them. A mirage of an orange dragon followed after the figure, its eyes glowing a bloody red as it approached them. One deafening roar left the dragon but in actuality, it was a strong gust of wind that blew them away and cut into their skin. 

Several soldiers passed away almost immediately, blood splattering on the battlefield. "You..." a growl came from the dragon— no, from the woman as ferocious as a dragon. Her eyes turned into slits like the aforementioned mythical creature, her very presence instilling fear into the enemies' hearts.

"... severely hurt my family..."

"Hurt?" One soldier mockingly echoed, a snort leaving him right after. "We killed him." 

A glint of murderous intent flashed through her eyes before she herself snorted back in utter mockery. The breeze swirling around came to a stop as she impelled her sword into the dirt ground. "Kill..? You will never be able to kill Ouryuu." As soon as she declared that, silence ensued in the field, only the gasps of disbelief and horror resounded in the area.

An uncharacteristic smirk graced her lips, one that almost looked evil-ish. "Little Missy is right. I am the dragon that was born to be your shield. If Ouryuu, your shield, protects you..." Yoru glanced back, catching Zeno's eyes. "You will never be injured."

The soldiers left alive were in denial. Even though they had seen it with their own eyes, they still denied the fact that Zeno's fatal injury just healed right in front of them. Suddenly, the soldier who took the blond down in the first place stabbed Ouryuu right where his heart was. Dairyuu restrained herself from going on another rampage.

He's fine, she thought. He's alive. But that didn't mean she doesn't worry.

The stab wound slowly healed as Zeno sat back down, wobbling a bit when he stood up. Varying volumes of shrieks of fear boomed on the battlefield. Several pairs of eyes stared at the blond in horror and terror whereas Ouryuu simply stared back at them with a clear gaze. He had gotten used to receiving those kinds of looks, after all.

(Ryun was frozen solid on the ground, eyes glued on Zeno's back. No matter how much he wanted to look away, he simply couldn't. He was trapped in his memories, imprisoned in his own nightmares.)