Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

-

Reading always kept Ashton at peace, the words that had been so carefully structured on the page never failed to disappoint the boy. It captured him so that he was unable to put the book down, wanting to find out what was happening next — just one more chapter he promised himself. He would end up reading late into the night until his eyes could no longer stay open and he closed his book and easily fell into a blissful sleep. There were the occasional times where he would fall asleep whilst reading and the book would slide off the bed and fall closed, leaving the boy frustrated as he had to try and find the page he had last been on.

Luke had been asleep for countless hours, almost falling asleep instantly after dinner, his fourth one since and he was gradually getting into a routine. It was no easier but he was becoming more accepting of the inevitability of having to eat. It bothered Ashton sometimes because he wanted to get to know the blonde, befriend him more so than they already were. But, he understood that the blonde was weak and tired and that over time they could talk easier.

Ashton had spent a couple of hours in Michael and Calum's room, playing a game of Monopoly before returning to his own room and reading his novel, which he was over halfway through.

The seventeen-year-old heard movement from the bed beside him, Ashton's eyes flicked down to the watch that was laying beside him, it was only ten o'clock. Placing his finger on the word that followed the one he had just read.

He turned his head to look at the blonde, the dim bedside light enough to illuminate the fifteen-year-olds figure that was sat upright in his head.

"Luke?" Ashton whispered quietly, not sure if the blonde was fully awake, or even awake at all. His mother always said not to wake someone who was sleeping walking or talking, to let them be. Just in case the blonde was awake and confused about the time, there being no clock in the room, Ashton informed. "It's only ten, go back to sleep."

Luke remained sat, Ashton couldn't see if his eyes were closed or open, but he was certain that the blonde was shaking, he assumed shivering from the cold air that circulated the room, hence why he had a jumper on and a blanket covering his bare legs.

Ashton leaned over and turned the light up to its full brightness, squinting in adjustment before focusing on his roommate. He had his eyes open, staring straight in front of him and was vigorously shaking.

"Luke are you awake?" Ashton questioned, swinging his legs over the edge of his bed, to get a closer look at the blonde.

"Don't move Ashton!" Luke whispered frantically, Ashton kept still, wondering if there was a spider in the room.

"Why?" Ashton whispered back, his eyes slowly scanning the room for a black shape with eight legs.

"There's something in the wardrobe, it'll hurt us, Ashton. You can't move," Luke said, his voice wavering with fear.

Ashton wondered still whether Luke was actually asleep, and he was just having a nightmare. "Luke I think you are just dreaming, you're asleep, none of this is real."

"I'm awake Ashton," Luke hissed. "Please, we need to be quiet. Please just be quiet."

Ashton obeyed Luke, he stayed silent and still, keeping his eyes on the blonde who was a still as a statue. Ashton could hear him breathing, he could feel the fear radiating off him. He wanted to ask Luke what was in the wardrobe, he wanted to know if he were truly awake.

Only a matter of minutes passed before the blonde began to scream incomprehensible words and clutched at his duvet. Ashton had no clue what was happening, all he could hear was the blonde screaming and sobbing, his body paralysed with fear.

Disobeying the younger boy Ashton quietly and slowly slipped off of his bed, a little scared himself, and gently sat down beside the blonde causing him to jump. He opened up his arms and carefully embraced the small boy. Luke instantly falling into the older boys chest, clutching at his pyjama shirt as his life depended on it.

"It's okay," Ashton whispered soothingly into the fifteen-year-olds hair. He could feel the blondes tears soaking into his top but he didn't mind. "Your safe, nothing will hurt you."

Ashton let the blonde cuddle up to him, he let him scream and tremble and mutter words that Ashton didn't understand, they made no logical sense. He didn't know what had just happened, whether the boy had just hallucinated or had a nightmare, but all Ashton knew was that he wanted to protect Luke and have him in his arms.

Ten minutes had passed and Luke began to pull away, he was only hiccupping now, and he was shaking less. He looked up at Ashton, innocently. His cheeks were soaked and flushed a deep red. Luke had gained his sanity back and he felt like a baby crying in Ashton's arms, and how bad he felt for Ashton having to support his weight.

"I'm sorry," Luke mumbled looking down at his lap awkwardly.

"Don't be," Ashton quickly defended. "What happened?" he asked. "Was it a nightmare?"

Luke stared at the wall beside him, slowly shaking his head. "No," he murmured. "Didn't you see them?" slightly confused.

"There wasn't anything there Luke, did you eat much today?"

Luke stared at Ashton, puzzled as to why he hadn't seen anything. He didn't want to answer the curly-haired boy, and as each second passed by looking at Ashton, he grew a greater desire to kiss him. Without thinking about the consequences, Luke leaned in and placed his lips on Ashton's, and Ashton willingly kissed back. Placing a firm hand on the back of Luke's head, he kissed him a little harder, with more passion.

-

Thank you so much for reading!