Chapter Fifty-six

Chapter Fifty-six

-

Stuck in a booth between both his brothers, Luke was watching as Ben scrolled through all of the photos from his latest holiday, listening to him explain each one. 

"You would have loved it there Luke, it was really peaceful," Ben explained closing his phone and smiling at his brother. 

"It does look nice. Maybe I can go there when I'm your age," Luke suggested, knowing how much his oldest brother saved up for the trip.

Ben nodded and then took a menu from his mother who had just been given five from a waitress. Luke took one too, and slowly opened it up.

No one, unlike Ashton, asked him if he had wanted to go out for a meal and he wasn't quite sure how to feel about it. He and Ashton had now been on countless restaurant dates now over the past two months, gradually ordering a bigger meal each time. 

But with everyone assuming he would be fine eating with four other people, he felt a sudden sense of expectation. Arguably over the past month, he had been eating fine, there was little struggle apart from when he was upset by external factors. And he was now beginning to consider adding extra calories to his meals

Running his finger over each option, Luke sighed not knowing what he wanted. Jack tapped the blonde on the shoulder and gestured to the back of the menu. Luke frowned and flipped his around where there were some more options. Most of which were either lunch or smaller options. 

Luke smiled at him thankfully, and the middle brother gave him a small, knowing nod. 

The reassurance from his brother gave the blonde a sudden surge of confidence. He realised that no one was expecting him to eat loads, not as much they would. They just wanted a normal family experience, and he wanted to give them that. That was the least they deserved for all that he had made them suffer.

Luke was too busy thinking when the waiter came back to the table, recalling the past year. "Luke honey," his mother said, her voice raised. The blonde quickly snapped back to reality and noticed the waiter waiting patiently for his order.

Holding up the menu he pointed to what he wanted to his mother who told the young man. "What about a drink?" she asked him.

Luke shrugged. "Just a coke, with no ice," he told her as if it were a normal order. And it was, a year prior. But, none of them had experienced the young boy drink a fizzy drink. He never drank anything but water.

When the waiter had left she gave his a proud smile, everyone did - and Luke found himself finally calming down. He realised that they felt they could take him here because he as okay. 

Alex suddenly cleared his throat. The three boys looked over at him. The older man looked anxious, his forehead shiny with sweat. His hand were hidden under the table. "I suggested to your mother that we did this today because I wanted your approval as well as your mothers?"

Liz looked over at her boyfriend confused, she thought that he just wanted her to spend time with all three of her sons - which was a rare occurence.

Raising one hand from under the table, he gently took her hand and gave her a nervous smile. He then raised the other hand which a small box lay inside. "Will you marry me, Liz."

Neither of her sons had ever seen her so happy as she quickly nodded in response. A few people around the restaurant were watching and clapping.

The pair exchanged a small kiss, and Liz then wiped her eyes and looked over at her sons. The three of them seemed to have no problem living with the man, they got along with him. Jack even going to the pub with him a couple of times now.

"I'm happy for you mum," Ben said approvingly. He had only met Alex a couple of times, but he knew how happy he made her. He had experienced the hatred between her and his father and knew that this was actually what love was supposed to look like.

Jack nodded in agreement. "I have no problems with him," he admitted, smirking at the man. "And you know how easily I dislike people!"

His mother chuckled in agreement. Her son easily got into fights with people when he was out if they said one thing that he disagreed with.

Everyone was then looking at the youngest son who was yet to say how he felt. Luke down at his lap nervously Luke nodded to himself. "I'm okay with it."

Without realising they all let out a sigh of relief knowing how difficult having a new father figure in his life would be for the blonde. "You're good for everyone," Luke admitted. "I don't think anyone could hate you."

"Thank you, Luke," the man said, a wave of emotions overfilling him. Alex knew that he was too old to start a family of his own now - and children were something that he never really wanted. But sat here now, he couldn't imagine a more perfect family atmosphere for him. And whilst it might seem like a burden, Alex was the glue that held this family together. They needed him, and he needed them. 

-

Short but sweet!

Only two more chapters left. I really need to get planning the next book!

Please comment what you think.

Thank you so much for reading.