Chapter Thirty-seven

-

Two months had passed since the blonde had last seen his mother, and those two months he had longed to see her. When she entered his therapist's room he leapt up from his seat and wrapped his arms tightly around her.

She laughed lightly and hugged him tightly, placing a long kiss on his head. Finding comfort in the familiar scent of her son. When he pulled away she inspected her son up and down. She had hoped he would have been a little more healthy, but she had been informed at her son's situation and that his recovery at the ward had stagnated.

She looked over at Alex hesitantly. "Are you sure this is right? I don't want-"

Alex didn't want her to voice her concerns in front of Luke, knowing the blonde was just as anxious as he was excited. And hearing his mother lack faith in him would only cause more trouble.

"We've done all we can for him here Liz," he reassured her, gesturing for them both to sit so they could discuss the boys future. Something he'd briefly explained to them both. "We have seen immense progress these past two weeks with Luke's perspective on eating. He has lost some weight as a result of his recovery plan, but I think overall Luke is happier and more accepting of his disorder. Wouldn't you say so, Luke?"

Luke nodded shyly, it felt off having his mother in the same room as his therapist. He felt wrong. That something so personal should not be mixed with his family. "I'm basically learning to eat again," Luke explained to her, playing with the sleeves of his jumper. "For real this time," he added, knowing that in the past he wasn't eating for himself but doing so passively.

She squeezed his knee sweetly, knowing how much he wanted to come home.  "I just don't want to yell at you sweetheart, that's all. I want everything to be as calm as possible," she admitted, knowing how hard she herself was going to find this.

"There are course Liz for parents dealing with children like Luke. They are really helpful. Just because we are sending Luke home early, does not mean this is any different from sending him home later on his recovery."

Liz nodded understandingly, smiling at the man. Finding it difficult that the man was in a position of authority over her when they were once equal as friends. "I know. I've been researching. I just can't afford it. Treatment for Luke  is enough."

Alex nodded understandingly. But, he knew how crucial her role was in the blondes recovery. He needed her support and understanding: and he feared that she couldn't give that. "I could offer that support if you like?" He offered, only wanting the best for the family. "I am going to continue to be Luke's therapist as discussed, I could also keep you in the loop and give you hints on how to help."

Luke looked at the man and shook his head. He didn't want his mother knowing how he was personally feeling, or her telling him things he did not want her to tell him. "Alex thank you, but I don't have the-"

Alex interjected. "I'll do it for free Liz, as a friend. You're going to need support, even if you don't want her to have that knowledge Luke," he said looking at the blonde who seemed unsure about the situation with a knowing grin.

But the blonde's expression changed from concern to confusion. "Friend?"

Liz looked at her son awkwardly. "Alex and I used to go to school together, that's all, " she dismissed. Alex felt his heartache slightly at that. He had evidently had a massive crush on her the whole time, but too scared it would ruin the friendship if the feelings were not mutual.

"No one told me this-" Luke asked, slightly annoyed. "It's a bit of a coincidence that Alex was my therapist - but actually you don't specialise -"

"Your mother contacted me when she first found out Luke, she knew I was a therapist and said she trusted me. I had enough training to help you, so I said yes. It's the least I could do for her."

"What do you owe her?" Luke asked sceptically. He wouldn't do this as a favour, knowing how stressful he had been.

"Nothing," Liz said.

Simultaneously Alex answered. "It's just an act of friendship."

Liz smiled at him sweetly before looking at her son who did not look so convinced. "You think too much Luke," she laughed, rubbing his shoulder in an attempt to calm his mind.

Luke groaned and looked back down at the floor, suddenly feeling more awkward that the pair knew each other.

"Luke has devised a couple of meal plans with a dietitian," the therapist said wanting to get back on track. "We recommend doing this with him every week, or every couple of days just to give him control of what he is eating. And to give you an idea of how much he should ideally be eating. Try and let him make them as well, it's going to make him more at ease."

Liz laughed. "I don't think Luke's ever cooked in his life," she said, watching her son glared at her.

Alex smiled too. "Or let him help. Just let him be around when you prepare it. He'll want to watch everything you do, and let him. I know it seems compulsive but he will eventually become bored and careless."

"What do I do if he doesn't eat," she asked. This was what she was most concerned about. She didn't want to see her son unconscious again.

"Be firm of course. But to skip a meal, or not eat enough now and then is fine. We all do it when we don't feel like it. Don't confuse Luke's feelings with his disorder. You need to try and distinguish which is what, which isn't easy. But if you find he isn't eating regularly, take him to the doctor. There are things they can do."

Luke looked up at his therapist, somewhat happy with what he was saying. He understood his concerns even though he had not explicitly expressed them. But he knew what the man was suggesting to his mother. Alex noticed the fear cross the blonde's face and he smiled reassuringly. "You don't have to let it get to that Luke. Make that something you are moving away from. I really think you won't need it to get to that."

Luke nodded. "Thank you," he whispered

-

Luke looked around the room, feeling sadness suddenly fill his body, and then at his boyfriend who was stood opposite him and pouted slightly.

Ashton giggled and placed his arms around the blonde's waist. "I get out of here in a week," Ashton reassured him. "I'm going to take you on the best date."

"I've never been on a date before," Luke remarked, smirking at the older boy.

Ashton shrugged and kissed the blonde. "Nothing will ever beat it."

Luke grinned excitedly. "I'll miss you, Ashton. I haven't been without you for a while, even when you were gone - you were still around."

Ashton hummed in response, pulling away and taking a small glance at the blonde. He was smaller than before. He didn't like it, but he knew it was for the right reason. "I'll miss you as well Luke," he nodded, getting a tad emotional. "When I next see you, I want you to tell me about every meal you've made. Write me a little story, okay? But, if you don't want to eat, don't write anything. Just tell me how you were feeling, like in here."

Luke nodded, thinking about the pages he was going to be giving the curly-haired boy. Filled with scruffy writing and colourful pen. "I'll try."

"That is all I want Luke. Is for you to try. I expect nothing."

"I love you, Ashton."

"I love you, Luke."

-

Feel like no one is reading this - don't know whether I should continue or not?

Please comment what you think.

Thank you so much for reading.